Question on rooster appreance

It must be molting or diet then, only other roosters r a 4 month old sebrite and yr old d'andver which stay way clear of him. What diet would u recommend and how would I arrange it since he feeds with the hens.
Feed everyone an All Flock with a separate bowl of oyster shells. The calcium in layer is hard on roosters.

[/IMG] Here is some more pics with better angles

All flock, grower, or flock raiser type feed for everyone. Makes life so much simpler, and hens tend to lay better on a higher protein feed. Just make sure they have crushed oyster shell for calcium.

That is a pure game rooster. The eclipse molt is the nail for me. You need to take my comment on the bill seriously. At some point, regardless of the diet you provide, he will starve unless you intervene with little bill trimming. I would either remove the other roosters or isolate him from the flock. Otherwise you will likely have mortalities.

When you get him cleaned up he will be the prettiest chicken you have ever seen. How did you come to possess him?

Most of my games are penned singly. Exception has been with small flock / harem maintained around house that free-ranges over several acres. That allows me to more closely follow feather development and replacement without the confinement artifact where the pen itself damages feathers.

I picked him up at a feed store in Bakersfield and now he has 6 golden sex links to his flock. They free range everyday and r waiting at the coop gate everyday at 6 ready to come out. He was only 10 bucks, figured why not let him lead the girls.

Work on roost for all your birds were they can spread out a little not come into contact with sides of coop / pen at night. Also give him something like BOSS to help him keep his next set of feathers well oiled.

I'll look into that supplement, he pretty much roosts on a single bar that has plenty of room on it and only the hens perch next to his side. Everyone else goes inside the nesting box area and mini dog houses.

Back
Top Bottom