Question on rooster selection?

Pnjerles74

Hatching
Apr 15, 2021
I am getting close to thining out my cockerels. Right now I have 4 Barred Rock cockerels that are about 13 weeks old. I'm going to keep one of them but am not sure what to base the choice on. I am not trying to breed for any kind of show quality birds or anything like that. I just would like a rooster to help protect my hens. Non aggression to humans is important to me.

Right now none of the 4 are aggressive, but there is one that is overly friendly and will even sit in your lap. I have had someone tell me that was actually a bad thing as that means they do not respect you. Is that true? He also kind of keeps more to himself and always backs down immediately in any kind of sparring they try to do.

I kind of have it narrowed down to him and one other. The other looks a lot better as far as his feathers, feet, etc., and he acts a little more roosterish if you know what I mean. I definitely think he is the dominant of the 4. He has not been aggressive to me or anyone else, but I am concerned if he is the dominant bird then he may start to be aggressive to humans. The only category he is behind the friendly guy in is weight. You can tell he is not quite as heavy.

Any thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I agree that you could eliminate one or two, and see how your favorites develop. It's hard! Eliminate any who have obvious structural defects, or whatever. then watch them grow, and don't be in a huge hurry about it. When one or two of them are gone, the remaining birds will have more space to show who they are, which will be helpful.
If you actually have four good guys, that's great! Maybe they can find new homes out there.
Mary

Right now none of the 4 are aggressive, but there is one that is overly friendly and will even sit in your lap. I have had someone tell me that was actually a bad thing as that means they do not respect you. Is that true? He also kind of keeps more to himself and always backs down immediately in any kind of sparring they try to do.
I’ve had several aggressive roosters. Some were friendly as chicks, some were skittish, and a couple started trying to bite as young as 8 weeks old. I have not noticed friendly roosters having any more of a tendency towards aggression than standoffish ones.

Back
Top Bottom