Question on rooster selection?

I look for a cockerel that the pullets and hens respect and like; one that also conforms to my needs in his offspring. I look for a wide pelvic space for him to pass those genetics to his daughters for ease of egg laying and a meaty chest to pass those genetics to his sons for my dining pleasure. I reject a cockerel that shows any aggression towards me or my dogs, or a cockerel that is unnecessarily mean to his brothers. Around here, a bully today is likely to be brunch tomorrow.

I look for a cockerel that the pullets and hens respect and like; one that also conforms to my needs in his offspring. I look for a wide pelvic space for him to pass those genetics to his daughters for ease of egg laying and a meaty chest to pass those genetics to his sons for my dining pleasure. I reject a cockerel that shows any aggression towards me or my dogs, or a cockerel that is unnecessarily mean to his brothers. Around here, a bully today is likely to be brunch tomorrow.
Chicken nuggets are good at brunch, I suppose . . . ;)

Dang it, lost my post?

Check the SOP of the breeds - they often have very good points, and pictures of things to look for.

You need to pick them up, and feel them over, feathers cover a lot of sins. Examine their feet and legs, breastbone, and head carefully.

The feet you want to be symmetrical, look for crooked toes, or twisted nails - these can be hard on balance and hen's back as they breed.

Look carefully at the head and beak, you want symmetrical alignment, not even a hint of a crooked beak.

Feel the breastbone, and thighs. At first you might not feel like you know what you are feeling for, but by handling the 4 of them, you will get some experience and start to notice differences.

Weigh your birds, I am assuming they are the same age, and had the same food, heavier birds are better doing birds.

You are not judging for which to keep at this stage, but rather who to let go first. I would recommend removing 1 and waiting 2-3 weeks, it will change their dynamics. Often times, one will stand out of the three, but if not, remove one more, wait and then make your final decision.

When it gets down to the end, I had a successful chicken lady tell me, she would remove one from the flock but not cull, seeing how the lone rooster interacted with the ladies, if she was happy with that, she did cull the removed bird, but if she wasn't, she flipped them.

Mrs K

This is going to sound weird, but do any of them dance for and give presents (bugs) to the ladies? I read about how that helps dynamics and instincts in the flocks. No experience with it myself but if I ever get a rooster I hope he’s a dancer!

Dancers and those that Tidbit their ladies are often the most popular cockerels in the bunch and as such, they tend to be the 'ladies' choice. You can test for their tendency to Tidbit by tossing out only one kernel of treats near each cockerel in turn, and seeing how he reacts and interacts with the flock members. If he coos and bobs his head up and down at the treat, or even picks it up and drops it at his feet one more more times, then he's got tidbitting down to a science :p If he scrambles to get it and runs away with it to enjoy for himself every time, then tidbitting isn't in his nature.
I tend to favor cockerels/roosters that dance and tidbit.

I always figured that his dance was to inform her that he's interested. One of those, "Get ready baby" gestures. A willing hen will always do just that, she squats lower to the ground and seemingly makes herself as wide and broad across the shoulders and back as she possibly can, widens her stance (placing her feet wider apart) and she quits wiggling and moving around. She waits for him to mount her, in short, she gets ready.

Back
Top Bottom