question on serama

nchls school

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Tennessee
I have 11 supposed serama chicks that hatched from eggs that my wife bought off ebay. Only three or four look the way they should; the others have longer, bigger bodies, tails that hang down or straight out, do not stand erect. Is it normal to have so many that lack serama characteristics or did my wife get taken? A couple of these chicks are as big as silkie chicks of the same age.

Many Seramas are not selected for quality. They're cute little pets with fancy coloring. If you want birds that look like the breed standard drawings, you need eggs from birds that match the standard. Judging by what is on Ebay right now, yours are going to have long backs and skinny tails. You may luck out; the SCNA 2011 national champion was a descendant of a bird from an Ebay egg. But the seller had an entire flock of nice birds, not one nice cock and a pen of mediocre hens. I hope yours grow up to mature nicer than they are now.

Many Seramas are not selected for quality. They're cute little pets with fancy coloring. If you want birds that look like the breed standard drawings, you need eggs from birds that match the standard. Judging by what is on Ebay right now, yours are going to have long backs and skinny tails. You may luck out; the SCNA 2011 national champion was a descendant of a bird from an Ebay egg. But the seller had an entire flock of nice birds, not one nice cock and a pen of mediocre hens. I hope yours grow up to mature nicer than they are now.

Thank you for your reply. Luck. That seems in short supply right now, but maybe, just maybe I'll get lucky this time.

Back
Top Bottom