Question on Silkie color combinations

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by araucanasmom, Jun 9, 2009.

1. araucanasmom

araucanasmom Songster

Mar 27, 2008
    Southern NJ
    What color will the chicks be from a white cock over these hens?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Is the top one Self Blue (lavender)?

3. araucanasmom

araucanasmom Songster

Mar 27, 2008
    Southern NJ
    Quote:I got her from Ideal as part of a silkie assortment.
    I don't know what color to call her, she has a few splashes on her back like very pale bars. Here's better pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. That first one looks like a self-blue. Is that second one a pullet? Those are some huge wattles.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Non-bearded silkies tend to have large wattles--even the girls.

Aren't white rocks dominant white? if so, then offspring would be white. If recessive white then it's hard to say what the rocks could be hiding.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Silly me, you said "cock" and I read "rock." [​IMG] Anyways, may last statement is correct--unpredictable no idea what the white cock is hiding, genetically speaking

7. Kev

Kev Crowing

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    White isn't a color.. it is simply a gene that prevents the colors and patterns a bird has from showing up. He could be a solid black, partridge, a blue or...... under that white....

So it's one of those things you simply won't know until they're bred.

8. araucanasmom

araucanasmom Songster

Mar 27, 2008
    Southern NJ
    Quote:Yes she is a pullet, we got 5 eggs so far. I took the other pullet out of the pen to be sure it was her that was laying.[​IMG]

9. Foxhound lady

Foxhound lady Songster

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    white is a covering color

Think gray in horses gray covers up all colors including black. It does tend to be a dominant color though

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  10. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    White in silkies is almost always recessive. There is a separate dominant white gene, but it is usually very leaky--allowing other colours to express in certain areas. Recesive white is very much not leaky. If a bird has two copies of it, you have no idea of what other genetic colours or patterns are present in the bird. Every bird can be different--but they will all be white because of the recessive white gene that does not allow pigment to be placed in the feathers.

The bird in the 1st photo appears to be lavender. The bird in the 2nd photo appears to be black.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: