Question on small trailer conversion techniques?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
What do you do if the flatbed trailer you are adding sides to doesn't have those little stake post slots already built onto the frame and you are trying to add enclosure to the same small trailer? Specifically what I'm talking about is adding 'enclosure' of sides and roof to like a very small 6 by 8 or 6 by 10 motorcycle trailer. But the trailer isn't self made to have those side post/stake holder metal slots that some have already built on.

And I'm not a welder and have no welding tools. So I have to work it from carpentry skills since that's what I know. I'm hoping there's a way I could just maybe do something with securing bolts and 2 by 4s to the frame edges and then build on that?

And I want to have a small light weight trailer that is multi-function to use as a backup shelter, and to have a place to put farm tools, garden tools, and to haul beehives in possibly also.

And can they go after you some how if you convert like a motorcycle flatbed trailer into a flatbed trailer or something crazy like that?

Thanks.

And can they go after you some how if you convert like a motorcycle flatbed trailer into a flatbed trailer or something crazy like that?
You can do anything you want,,,,,,,, as long as trailer is road safe, in police officers opinion.
Below is a pix of my little trailer, that is 3' x 8'. I attached a plywood to it,,, so I could bring home some sheetrock. 4 x 8.
I also have pockets welded on side rails, so I can install a side kit. I just cant locate a picture of it with sides on. I have a tarp over the top.
I used when I needed to bring bulk firewood for my stove. FREE FROM A PALLET REPIR PLACE.
I do have a welder, and am proficient in welding.
You can build a plywood box type structure, on top of your trailer. Just make sure it is well secure to the floor, side rails, if on the road. Use ratchet type straps to double secure if traveling on road.
I will search some more thru my pictures, or when it is nicer outdoors, I will go and take some detailed pix of my sides, and rails.
IMG_20220810_193502_0.jpg

My little trailer is like a min version of this trailer. The aluminum stakes are same, and plywood boards, and Tarp. And the Bows are also same, but made to span 3 feet for little guy, instead of 8 feet for the semi-trailer.
IMG_20191203_163033660.jpg

Thank you very much for the reply! Yours is simple and light. I like it. I like the idea of something light and small too because there's less blind spots when you drive. And the idea of getting into an accident seems more likely with something really big.

Very cool. I like it. You could use this for all kinds of stuff. Thank you for the pictures. It gives me some ideas of things to try.

Back
Top Bottom