question on turning eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gapeachy, Mar 24, 2009.

1. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    also I have an old LG that I put a computer fan in I put in 36 eggs in styrofoam cartons that I cut the tops and the bottom out.....How do I turn the eggs in the cartons?....I have just been turning them to one side then the other.....

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I have been turning my whole bator [​IMG] but alot of people just turn the cartons themselves , hike up one side then the other.

3. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    Turning the whole thing would be OK if you don't need to keep any water in it I suppose..

4. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    In my thread about the egg carton method I was told that raising one end higher in the LG can harm the eggs because they are so close to the heating element. They said to cut the egg cartons down the middle so that you can angle each egg perfectly against the carton. You have to move each one by hand but so far it works great. The other thing I recently learned today is that you should rotate the eggs in different spots of the cartons. The entire back row of my 17 eggs were clear while the others were growing just fine! When I asked this question someone said rotate the eggs; front to back, back to front, etc. Im scared to move the good eggs to the back now. Im leaving them right where they are!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by