Question on what to do with chicks when?

JaciesCoop

Songster
12 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Arizona
This is the first time I've had chicks coming (from Ideal) when it's still been cold.
I have a brooder set up inside the house and know about the 95 degrees the 1st week and after that down 5 degrees each week.
My question is: How old do they have to be before they can go out in the coop (with a heat lamp up high)?
Their section of the coop is divided off from the rest of the flock but they will have a small run with roost in it and the their part of the coop has roost and 1 good size nesting box on the floor. When can they use these facilities without the fear of them getting too cold.
Hope I've made sense here. Last group I got was last summer and in AZ there is no fear of them freezing! LOL! But I did have a light on for them each night.

And the red heat lamp is still on their side of the coop so it will be on at night.

Jacie

I put my chicks out to their coop when they were 2 and 3 weeks old. It is sectioned off and I have 2 heat lamps running at night. It is still cold here, so I also run 1 or 2 of them in the day depending on the temperature. They made the adjustment great. I haven't let mine go outside in the run because it hasn't been above 70F here yet. Hoping, hoping, hoping:fl I do have to say that I worried about them a lot, especially at night. They are 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 weeks old now and I am still checking on them very regularly.

Hope this helps!

Yes DP that does help. Sounds like your set up is much like mine. Hope we get some more replies for comparison sake.

Jacie

I have always put mine out, (not that I am an expert) because I figure if they were with their mother she would be parading them out once in a while for some feed and exercise. However I do have the luxury of being at home and last weekend I only put them out a bit when it seemed warm enough. They were very upset at being confined in the house after already having been out so much. They are about a month old I guess. I am in Glendale.

I'll kick mine to an outdoor brooder at about a week old. They go to the grower coop at 3-4 weeks, and lose their heat lamp by 6 weeks or so... spring temps here range in the 30-40 at night and 40-50 day highs.

Back
Top Bottom