Question on what's a good soil!

chickadde

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
I would like to cover my chicken coop area with new fresh soil for my flock They have had the same old soil for three years and I thought it would be healthy to cover the old and bring in fresh soil. Would this be a good idea or not? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you, Valerie

Thick layer, at least 6 inches, of 'brown' organic materials of varying sizes and shapes.
Wood chips, dry leaves, dry grass clippings, sticks, twigs, old hay and straw, etc. can create a healthy environment of organisms that will decompose chicken poops.

Wondering where DE is useful, how often to apply it, how much per square foot, and where else besides dust bath areas is it useful. we have a dirt floor in coop with raised poop deck for nest boxes and roosts. Eleven chickens that are 11 weeks old and I LOVE them!

I would use barn lime, then put my other stuff on top, a lot of people use DE, but I don't because of the potential to cause damage to my lungs and my chickens lungs, don't need that in my life, grew up on a dairy farm, owned a dairy farm, always used barn lime.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom