question - pheasant / butchering

soap&eggs

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2010
hi. i dont come to this page very often, so maybe it has been asked and answered in the past. if so i am sorry for repeated questions. at what age would you butcher ringnecks ? or better asked , what would be the youngest age to butcher, what age is recommended by most who have done so ?...do you feather pluck or skin them ?........also, if i am to keep some pheasants for own stock, is it best to keep male who feathered out earlier & a bit more aggressive in pen, instead of the slower developing ones, for breeding purposes ? ...thank you for any info you can give.

Hello, I butcher my pheasants at about 8 months old.I tried younger and older and found this age the best. I always skin them its faster but you loose the flavor the skin gives the meat its a matter of taste and time.I always keep the roosters that mature the fastest and have good coloring. for the aggressive part to much is a bad thing they will beat the day lights out of your hens if you dont have enough hens to keep them happy.I hope this helps it works for me.

Last edited:
thank you bluegoose for answers...i was beginning to think everyone from site went on a long vacation !!!! 8 months old for butchering... which means i will be butchering in feburary...brrrr !!!! .....do you usually only do the males and save hens for eggs / chicks ?? or just do what ever you have avaiable ? thanks once again.

I only butcher the roosters and keep the hens for the eggs and or sell them.I sell there eggs it helps pay for there feed.the more hens the more eggs=$ and that helps.

thanks steve for reply. at what age would you guess yours to be when they are filled out ? mine just hatched so will be awhile before they will be ready for table.

Back
Top Bottom