Question re fall bulbs

Jun 20, 2019
Mississippi
So I planted cover crop in our garden and now I’m thinking I might want to put down some fall bulbs—tulips and daffodils. I don’t have any experience with these bulbs. The cover crop is just coming up—probably an inch high right now. Can I just plant the bulbs into the rows now? Will cover crop mess the bulbs up? I’m sure it won’t now but what about it when I crimp it all down in March?

You are in a warmer zone than I,, so not sure what the situation will be in March. The bulbs may already be growing foliage, and flower at that time. . The Tulips, and daffodils die back after a few months ,, and return to growing following spring.
Consider a permanent spot for them,, like on the edge or a garden,, where they will not interfere with your other garden crops growing.
I have both growing on my grounds. They are in my flower beds that do not get used for any gardening of other sorts.

WISHNG YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

What zone are you in? I am in 8b, and definitely have green tops on my tulips by March, so I am thinking cover crop crimping may cause them damage. If you have access to any kind of bulb crate, or even milk crates, or something that resembles them, they make great planters for bulbs, especially if you are not sure where you want their permanent bed to go yet.

I don't know about tuplis, but the daffodils will be fine. Commercial daffodil fields leave bulbs in the ground for about three years. They mow the field just before the daffodils start to send up green. The weeds keep growing up from their root system, but the daffodils come up and bloom so quickly that the weeds cannot overpower them; especially so early in the growing season.

Back
Top Bottom