Question re integrating my 1 pet chicken with 1 new chicken in a new environment for both chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nuthoney, Sep 12, 2012.

1. nuthoney

nuthoney New Egg

Aug 23, 2009
    Until recently, I had 3 chickens. 2 died, leaving 1 behind (an EE who's on the smaller side). I have been searching for weeks now (Craigslist, feedstores, shelters, etc.) for a new companion for her, but no luck. Then one of my husband's co-workers offered us one of her Buff Orpingtons, which she wants us to pick up tonight. According to the co-worker, this Buff is a bit aggressive which worries me some, because my EE is pretty docile but certainly no doormat. Also, note that I just moved to a different house and relocated my 1 chicken to her new chicken coop about 2 weeks ago (so everything is new to her). Both my EE and the Buff are about the same age (EE - 3.5 years old and the Buff about 2 years old). How should I best integrate the two of them? Place the Buff on the roost tonight so they wake up together? Quarantine the Buff first for 30-45 days as others here have suggested? What I am really wondering is whether the fact that everything is new to both of them (new location, new house, etc.), changes how I should integrate them...Can you please advise? Thank you for any insight you can offer.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    New location, new house, new everything may be good - nither of them has determined that this is THEIR home. What does concern me is your co-worker's assessment of the BO as 'aggressive'.

Good luck and hopefully all will go well. One on one, I think that I would be tempted to skip the quarantine. It's not like the new hen is coming from an auction or dealer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by