1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

question regarding children showing chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hoppy, Mar 31, 2009.

1. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    do I have to have my flock tested for npip (the pullurim testing thing) if I as an adult show the chicken? how about if my children show it and it's their chicken?
    all of my chickens either came from a hatchery or came from breeders that tested but I have no paperwork and they all came 1-2 yrs ago.
    I am in maine if that matters.

2. Huny

Huny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Sunny Southern Arizona
    I show and I don't have any pulormium (sp) testing. It might depend on who's running the show but I just showed up and put them in. Someone brought LICE and MITES thought I was pretty upset.

I thought NPIP stood for National Poultry Improvement Project?

3. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I think most every sort of show tests. I know that 4-H does, here in MI.

4. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    guess I will have to check it out for the show I might be thinking of going to (not that I have what might be showable but you have to start somewhere)

5. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Our state avian vet drew blood from our home raised chickens at the county fair.

6. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    That's only required in certain states. It's not required in California, but I'm going up to a show in Washington here in a few weeks and they're actually going to test my birds right there and then at the show because the state requires that all exhibitors be NPIP lisenced or that birds be tested there. So check with your cooperative extention to find out if you have to.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Every state has different requirements, and if they wanted to, a particular show could impose even more rigorous standards than the state.

Arizona, New Mexico and California do not require any form of testing or health certificate requirements. I don't believe Colorado has any requirements, either. From what I've heard, the farther north or east you go, the more the liklihood of some form of testing or health certificate is required.

Texas pretty much doesn't allow out of state birds to show. I think Michigan is about the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by