question regarding children showing chickens

hoppy

I'm not all fluff
12 Years
May 5, 2007
central maine
do I have to have my flock tested for npip (the pullurim testing thing) if I as an adult show the chicken? how about if my children show it and it's their chicken?
all of my chickens either came from a hatchery or came from breeders that tested but I have no paperwork and they all came 1-2 yrs ago.
I am in maine if that matters.

I show and I don't have any pulormium (sp) testing. It might depend on who's running the show but I just showed up and put them in. Someone brought LICE and MITES thought I was pretty upset.

I thought NPIP stood for National Poultry Improvement Project?

guess I will have to check it out for the show I might be thinking of going to (not that I have what might be showable but you have to start somewhere)

That's only required in certain states. It's not required in California, but I'm going up to a show in Washington here in a few weeks and they're actually going to test my birds right there and then at the show because the state requires that all exhibitors be NPIP lisenced or that birds be tested there. So check with your cooperative extention to find out if you have to.

Every state has different requirements, and if they wanted to, a particular show could impose even more rigorous standards than the state.

Arizona, New Mexico and California do not require any form of testing or health certificate requirements. I don't believe Colorado has any requirements, either. From what I've heard, the farther north or east you go, the more the liklihood of some form of testing or health certificate is required.

Texas pretty much doesn't allow out of state birds to show. I think Michigan is about the same.

Back
Top Bottom