1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

question regarding pine shavings - A friend said it was bad for gardens due to turpentine

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by vweers, Jan 2, 2016.

1. vweers

vweers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    SW Idaho
    Is this true? Since I have found that pine shavings work the best in our coop as they chickens won't keeps the straw under the roosts instead they move it around so much that I just have bare wood floors beneath them. Just curious if I need to figure something else out. I just have been buying the pine shavings at a local store.

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I've hauled a lot of horse and chicken bedding to my garden, the neighbor's garden, and my pastures. No problem! Mary

3. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I used pine shavings on my garden for years with no problems whatever.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I can't imagine the shavings have turpentine on them? that's kind of bizarre IMO. My shavings I buy are just pine shavings, nothing else. And like the above, I've been using them on my garden for years and years with no issues.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Most pine shavings bought in compressed bales at the farm stores are kiln dried, so no sap.
    Sap is gathered and distilled to make turpentine....much like maple sap is gathered and boiled down to make syrup.

Wood shavings can be 'bad' for gardens because they use up nitrogen as they decompose, robbing it from the growing plants.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  6. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    What you say aart makes sense.

In my coop I use pine shavings with no ill effects on my garden.
    Then again chicken poop being the strongest manure known to mankind Probably compensates for any nitrogen robbed out of the soil by the shavings. At least it does in my coop and garden.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  7. shmeggs

shmeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2013
    I had trouble with straw also, I just started using pine shavings also

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by