Question regarding removing eggs from nestbox

Lobzi

Crowing
14 Years
May 6, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area, EB
Will a hen, who is not broody, find a new place to lay her eggs if I take them? I want her to continue to lay in the nest box located in the coop but yesterday she made a nest in the yard outside the coop and laid her egg there. She just started laying and I found three eggs in the nest box the first time and removed them. She laid one more in the nest box that I also removed before she made a new spot to lay outside the coop. Should not take all of her eggs and maybe leave at least one in the nest box? Im new to this procedure so I will appreciate any advice.

I keep a couple of golf balls in the nest box. I did it at first to show them where I wanted them to lay, but have left them in there ever since because they seem to have grown fond of them. Even when I free range during the day, they will go all the way back into the coop to lay in the nest box with the golf balls. I have heard of some people using wooden eggs or other things like that for the same reasons.

She laid another egg in the brush this afternoon. When I got home from work and opened the pen she made a bee-line for her nest in the brush and there she laid it. I put the newly-laid egg in the nest box in the coop for now but I will replace it with a golf ball tomorrow. Im just afraid it is instinct for her not to lay eggs where they are removed from. Also, arent chickens sort of secretive, by nature, about their nests?
Besides I sure dont want her to be making nests all over the yard. Ill never find them all but the raccoons surely will!

Keep her locked -IN- the coop for a few days is my advice, yeah, sounds a little mean, and it'll make them all grumpy, but if she can't get out of the coop, she'll get in the habit of using the nest box, and it doesn't take long.

I've had a few here and there who always hid their nests in the bushes, and yeah, I used to hunt them down and gather them. I'd mark a few eggs, leave them there, gather the 'fresh' unmarked ones. I'm too old to do that anymore, I'd rather have grumpy hens for a 5 or 6 days!!

That will be the plan (keep her in the pen). We are gonna get some rain anyway. By the way, her first three eggs were laid in the nest box in the coop so she is comfortable using it. I just wondered if she was mad at me for taking them.

Back
Top Bottom