Question-Why is laying mash bad for roosters?

Quote:

Chris, out of chick starter, grower, breeder, all flock, or gamebird what is the best to feed to my flick of adult roosters and hens and the free range guineas will eat it too sometimes? What range of calcium do I want to stay w/in when comparing labels??

I've been reading along with this and wanted to know:

With a mixed flock (rooster, large fowl & bantum hens) who may or may not all be laying at the same time, what is my cheapest & best feeding method? Should I just get regular chicken feed & offer oyster shell & grit in separate containers for the ones who want/need it?

I don't mean anything by this but, How do you know that your bird never had a problem?
Did you open every bird up when they died to see the cause of death? Other than Avian Urolithiasis (Gout) you really aren't going to just look at a bird and say that isn't suffering from calcium toxicity.
You have to open a bird up and look for signs.
well for starters i have never had any birds just die ...either they were killed by predators or I killed them to eat ...

I never knew you weren't suppose to feed the roos the layer feed. I always have my flock on a mix of layer/gamebird over winter and layer/flock raiser in the spring summer and fall months. Never had a rooster drop dead. I also offer grit/oyster shells in seperate pans free choice. I noticed when I didn't have the hens on layer crumbles they laid alot of weak shelled eggs despite offering oyster shells to them.

I noticed when I didn't have the hens on layer crumbles they laid alot of weak shelled eggs despite offering oyster shells to them.

I mix my own feed and HAVE to mix in oyster shell into the feed (I also offer it free choice) otherwise the eggshells turn weak on us. They do leave what they don't want in the feeder. They definitely refuse to eat as many as I give.

I do worry that they might get too much calcium, but having weak eggshells is dangerous! They don't seem to get enough when it is just offered free choice.

(Ours currently are too young to lay and thus get no oyster shells...I am referring to earlier.)

Ok, thanks guys...I was clueless with any of it, very interesting conversation going on here.

I have been feeding mine a mixture of the laying pellets and chicken corn...of course, they love the corn but I usually throw a mixture...Problem is, the dog likes the laying pellets.(if he lays an eggs I'll let you know)

I just have the seven hens now and no rooster so...until, and if, I ever get another rooster I will know.

What about that wild birdseed stuff sold here and there, can they eat that, maybe as a snack?
I feed mine bread for a snack too...they like it but is is ok...and they make me real proud the way they like my home made biscuits...lol

Oh, and what about flax seed..like that milled stuff in the store, not necessarily the actual seeds. I think flax oil is good for just about every critter but have never given any flax to the birds.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks guys...I was clueless with any of it, very interesting conversation going on here.

I have been feeding mine a mixture of the laying pellets and chicken corn...of course, they love the corn but I usually throw a mixture...Problem is, the dog likes the laying pellets.(if he lays an eggs I'll let you know)

I just have the seven hens now and no rooster so...until, and if, I ever get another rooster I will know.

What about that wild birdseed stuff sold here and there, can they eat that, maybe as a snack?
I feed mine bread for a snack too...they like it but is is ok...and they make me real proud the way they like my home made biscuits...lol

Oh, and what about flax seed..like that milled stuff in the store, not necessarily the actual seeds. I think flax oil is good for just about every critter but have never given any flax to the birds.

Flax seed- feed in moderation- too much will make the eggs taste funny. They aren't their favorites, anyway in my chicken yard.

Birdseed- yes you can feed it. It is millet and black oil sunflower seeds. Millet is 11% protein, BOSS is 16%. Flax seeds are around 20% but don't quote me...I don't remember the exact amt.

Back
Top Bottom