Question?

Sarahloveslulu

Chirping
May 20, 2020
I have 2 female blue slate turkeys. Both 5 months old. One of them has just started to sit down and tuck her neck in her chest to flatten it. I don't know if she is scared or is it mating behavior.
She has an interest in our male turkey. But why would she be doing that to us and not the male? Please and thank you for your comments.

I have 2 female blue slate turkeys. Both 5 months old. One of them has just started to sit down and tuck her neck in her chest to flatten it. I don't know if she is scared or is it mating behavior.
She has an interest in our male turkey. But why would she be doing that to us and not the male? Please and thank you for your comments.
She is displaying the submission for breeding position. She appears to have been imprinted by you which is why she is submitting for you rather than for the tom.

She is displaying the submission for breeding position. She appears to have been imprinted by you which is why she is submitting for you rather than for the tom.
But I am not the only one she does this to. She does it to my sister and mother.

Correct. She does not understand that there is a difference between people and turkeys. She was imprinted by a person and thinks that a person is her proper mate.
What should I do then? How do I get her to stop? I trip over her all the time.
In the future, I want baby turkeys. Will she imprint of mate with the male.

My imprinted hens are bred by my tom. One of them will go into the mating trance when I touch her at all and sit for me, but she lets the tom breed her as well. Hopefully you shouldn't have any problems with her getting bred.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom