Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ottoman, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Ottoman

Ottoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    Florida
    Does anyone know how to stop a roster from crowing at all hours of the night?
    Ps, that does not include buck tape or an Ax.

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    is there a light shining into the coop?

3. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    If you can figure this out, you will likely be able to write a book and make some serious money. I've seen this question asked many times and have never read anyone that has completely solved it in a way that works for everyone that didn't, as you put it, involve duct tape or an ax!

I've heard my roosters crowing when I took puppies out to potty at 3AM. It's pitch black dark in and around their coop and they still crow. They are crowing when I wake up at 5AM each morning.

I'm guessing you are asking because the crowing is bothering you and/or the neighbors? I suspect the best you can do is to super insulate the coop so that they don't sound as loud from outside the coop [​IMG] If light is getting into the coop at night, you could try darkening the windows at night - but like I said, dark/light/hour of night does not affect my roosters and they crow regardless.

Best of luck!

Penny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by