Question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by skyarrow, Mar 8, 2011.

1. skyarrow

skyarrow In the Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    Victoria tx
    I have a question about my yellow duckling it has a funny twitch it's always opening and closing it's mouth in a rythmic pattern even in its sleep what does this meen the other two don't do it. It's eating good and everything els seem right il to post a vid for y'all to see it

[​IMG]

2. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Songster

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Your link does not seem to work......[​IMG]

3. skyarrow

skyarrow In the Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    Victoria tx
    Ok il load it on YouTube instead thanx for letting me
    Know

4. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Songster

Jan 12, 2011
    My ducklings will do that on occasion as well. I don't know that it is a big deal, but would like to know as well.

5. skyarrow

skyarrow In the Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    Victoria tx

6. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Songster

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Don't know, but just keep an eye on him/her. Could be a neurological thing that passes with age.

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Is it possible it has a blocked nostril??? At that age they are very small and even something very small can give them breathing problems. I was watching and saw that the mouth opening and closing was in time with it taking a breath, also the twitch or little head shake- could be that what ever it is makes the duckling itch- and it gives it head a little shake to try and dislodge what ever it is.

??? I may be wrong...but thats just what it looks like to me.

8. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Songster

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    Quote:^ Thats what i was thinking to...def. check his nostrils...

9. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I call this the "Infamous Pekin Pant!"

I'm always seeing posts and topics concerning pekins who are panting a lot, or opening their mouths a lot. Just make sure your little one doesn't have blocked nostrils. If their is no blockage and they have adequate water to blow their noses, it's just part of a pekin being a pekin....

I had one that would pant and pant and pant all day, even when I put him outside in the colder weather... silly thing... They do seem to grow out of it as they get older and feather out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: