Question?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Blonde, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Blonde

Blonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Narnia
    i have a question...

what is the reason to have ducks? i really want one so i want to know if they are beneficiall....

[​IMG]

2. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Eggs, meat, pest control (slugs and such) weed control....! Entertainment! [​IMG] Or as in my case, drive your spouse crazy with today's duck antics!

3. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    I have ducks b/c they are cute, funny, really entertaining, pretty, nice, small (I have call ducks so they are nice and small), they give me eggs, and the hens go broody and give me lots of fuzzy lil ducklings, which I go and sell. [​IMG]

4. Blonde

Blonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Narnia
    Thank you!!!! i will consider it [​IMG]

5. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    live entertainment all day long!

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:X2 [​IMG]

7. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    Entertainment, for SURE! They are fun to watch, they make good conversationalists, the sounds they make in the morning are wonderful, they keep you happy because they make you laugh quite a few times a day! Plus....they make a great conversation starter.

And...just cuz. [​IMG]

8. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Obviously, none of us are partial to our ducks and can give totally objective opinions on why to have some! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    The best reason to keep ducks is Duck Eggs and their unique health benefits and attributes.
    They've got slightly different grazing habits and are better garden foragers as they generally leave your veggies themselves alone and focus on weeds and bugs. They also (as mentioned) eradicate slugs and snails and thus are the natural eliminator of liver fluke for sheep raisers. They're also known to reduce mosquitoes and frogs as mosquito larva and tadpoles are like fish in a barrel to hungry duck-zillas.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  10. RunnerWhisperer

RunnerWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Serenity, therapy! My duck chores have become a well welcomed part of my day now. I can't wait to get home, throw on my old jeans, and flip flops so I can go out and see my duck babies! And doggies too! [​IMG] Plus there is a certain entrtainment value to watching them be ducks and do thier duck things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by