Question??

henney penny

Songster
10 Years
Nov 21, 2009
Northern Maine
I have a orpington hen that is a first time broody and a year old,she has been sitting on wooden eggs,I took them out last night and put two silkie babies under her,checked this morning and I lifted her up and could hear them but could not see them,think they were in her wings,she is in a dog house in the run and it was dark in there.Anyways my question is,I have 13 more here in the house in a brooder and wondered if I could put the rest under her tonight or would it be to much.Four of them are orpingtons and the rest silkies.Or should I just put the orps under her tonight and take out the two silkies and put them back in the brooder with the other silkies.Kinda wanted the hen to take care of them but don`t want to loss any.The nights here are still in the 40`s,he is in a new dog house with lots of straw and fencing around that to keep the other girls away from her.She is also inside the run.

i think see could that six under her 13 would be to many
thumbsup.gif

After much thought I put the four orp chicks under her and left the silkies to as I could not find them in the dark.She was out today showing off her new family

The most I have had a hen successfully raise is 8, any more than that & she seems to loose track & the number dwindles until she has a manageable brood. Of course mine are all 100% free range, but that hasn't been a problem.

Back
Top Bottom