Question!?

albird101

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 2, 2013
I got a rooster or cockerel today, I was wondering why he still dosent have any spurs or dosent crow? Also, he really dosent fly he's a bantam and he's terrified to jump off of things because, he dosent fly he just crashes on the floor!? Dose anyone know what breed he is? And how old he is?

Alfie didn't start crowing till he heard another rooster that was ironically in a cage on the back of a mates truck (about 6 months old) :) He decided to copy him and scared himself half to death. It was a weird squawk at first, he's now 9 months old and has perfected it :) I have heard it's a territory call, don't know if I believe that myself, but makes sense that he would start when another cock was around :)
Oh and Alfie still doesn't have spurs yet either, they are starting to form though

Last edited:
He is probably a bit too young, or was a younger rooster where he came from, and chose not to crow to stay under the radar with a nearby head rooster maybe? Also the flying- was he clipped or kept in a setting where he had no reason to attempt to fly or jump? My girls, when they try to do the running, flying jumps usually end up eating some dirt in the process. It is pretty funny, the 'OOOF' they let out, as they keep running to me to beg.

Could you post a side-profile photo? It almost looks like he's a Light-Brown Dutch Bantam (like one of the birds in my avatar) or some sort of Old English Game Bantam. Looks about 4-6 months of age, though he could be younger--bantams mature rather quickly. It can take a while for roosters to develop spurs; mine only get obvious ones when they are 6-9 months of age. He's a very pretty boy!

As for why he doesn't like jumping, that is odd; most bantams of his breed are great fliers. Do you think he can he see all right? Maybe he's just afraid of jumping--chickens can be fearful of many different things, and sometimes for no reason. And, at least in my experience, male chickens are awful at jumping down, especially the bantams. They just drop to the floor without even flapping their wings. Its a wonder they don't break their legs!

Last edited:
Could you post a side-profile photo? It almost looks like he's a Light-Brown Dutch Bantam (like one of the birds in my avatar) or some sort of Old English Game Bantam. Looks about 4-6 months of age, though he could be younger--bantams mature rather quickly. It can take a while for roosters to develop spurs; mine only get obvious ones when they are 6-9 months of age. He's a very pretty boy! 

As for why he doesn't like jumping, that is odd; most bantams of his breed are great fliers. Do you think he can he see all right? Maybe he's just afraid of jumping--chickens can be fearful of many different things, and sometimes for no reason. And, at least in my experience, male chickens are awful at jumping down, especially the bantams. They just drop to the floor without even flapping their wings. Its a wonder they don't break their legs!

I can't tell from the photo, are his earlobes red or white? If white, or at least partially white, he is a Dutch Bantam. If red, then he is some sort of mix, probably Old English Game/Dutch Bantam. His variety doesn't exactly fit any of the Dutch Bantam varieties, as his wing bars are blue (indicative of a Blue-Light-Brown Dutch Bantam), but his tail is black (which would mean he is a Light-Brown Dutch Bantam). He could be a mix of different varieties, or just a hatchery-quality bird.

His earlobes

I can't tell from the photo, are his earlobes red or white? If white, or at least partially white, he is a Dutch Bantam. If red, then he is some sort of mix, probably Old English Game/Dutch Bantam. His variety doesn't exactly fit any of the Dutch Bantam varieties, as his wing bars are blue (indicative of a Blue-Light-Brown Dutch Bantam), but his tail is black (which would mean he is a Light-Brown Dutch Bantam). He could be a mix of different varieties, or just a hatchery-quality bird.
His earlobes, are red and he still going through his moult? He just started chasing the hens and pinned them down and started mating with them, will the eggs be fertile because, he's still a young rooster but, I'm not sure if he's able to fertilize the eggs yet..

Back
Top Bottom