question?

albird101

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 2, 2013
So I decided to cull my flock of chickens that had coryza, it was a hard decision but it was the best thing in my situation.. Could anyone help me disenfect the coop and run I'm planning to leave it alone for a month or two to make sure the disease actually left. After the month or two I was planning on getting a pair of geese, 2 pgmy goats, 2 rabbits and 4 easter egger hens and 1 easter egger rooster. Were going to start to make a corral for all of them and were working on the pond and putting tree in the landscape, the fencing will be chain link so its durable and strong against predators also there will be chicken wire under the ground so the rabbits can't dig out can they all live together peace fully?

Sorry I don't know if all those can get along together. Geese are very protective and may not allow chickens near them - especially when rearing new goslings. I think most people keep them up separately. Rabbits and chickens are probably the easiest for predators to snatch and attacks come from the sky also in the form of Hawks.

Chain link may be strong but, the openings in the fabric can let small predators inside. Chicken wire to prevent rabbits from digging out is probably not going to work. It is very flimsy and rabbits have great chewing skills and are determined diggers. Where would all these animals sleep at night? I don't think they would all have the sense to retreat to their own coops/sheds etc. at dusk.

Goats are fantastic escape artists.

Sorry I don't know  if all those can get along together.  Geese are very  protective and may not  allow chickens near them - especially when rearing new goslings.  I think most people keep them up separately.   Rabbits and chickens  are probably the easiest for predators to snatch and attacks come  from the sky  also in the form of Hawks.

Chain link may be strong but, the openings in the fabric can let small predators inside. Chicken wire to prevent rabbits from digging out is probably not going to work. It is very flimsy and rabbits have great chewing skills and are determined diggers.  Where would all these animals sleep at night?  I don't think they would all have the sense to retreat to their own coops/sheds etc. at dusk.

Goats are fantastic escape artists.

Were we live there really isn't much of a threat of ground predators, plus our guardian livestock dog will be in the corral with them, they will have 2 separate coops on both sides of the fence and there will be a shed/small barn for the goats under a tree. The rabbits well we installed little under ground tunnles with plywood boxes with several openings. The yard is 2 acres and were using 1/2 a acre for the animals so if there is any aggression they can get away from eachother. What kind of wire should we put underneath the ground? Were going all out this year and trying to have a small backyard farm! This time there will be no more new chickens or new animals since it brought diseases the last time resulting in culling of my flock. Any broods that hatch will be sold and any goslings will be sold as well also the rabbits not the goats though.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 on Drumstick Diva. Truthfully, I think there will be chaos within your coop if geese, chickens and rabbits are living together.

The wire should keep those burrowing creatures out. Concrete will also prevent them. Here's some good links on disinfecting.
http://animals.pawnation.com/sterilize-chicken-coop-5754.html
http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/chicken-disease-prevention-basics.aspx
http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2011/03/naturally-disinfecting-the-chicken-coop.html

Good luck!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

You've received some good advice above.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry you had to cull your flock.
hugs.gif

You've been given some good advice already. I don't have experience raising all of your types of animals together, but I expect that there would be some problems.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Back
Top Bottom