question?

albird101

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 2, 2013
So I'm ordering my chicks from ideal poultry I wanna raise and breed easter eggers I have 3 4 month old pullets and 1 4 month old Cockrell, and I'm thinking of ordering 8 easter eggers pullets, but I'm still debating what breed should I use for broodyness? A jersey giant or a buff orpington? Any help

buff orpington or standard cochins if your looking for a large breed...if not, i love silkies and bantam cochins for hatching eggs...have had luck with all of them.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Keep in mind that EEs are hybrids and so will not necessarily breed true. Each of your EEs will carry a brown egg gene and a blue egg gene and in cases where both EE parents pass off the brown egg gene to their chicks, their offspring will only lay brown eggs. If you want guaranteed EEs, you need to get one sex in a blue egg laying breed (pure Ameraucanas, Araucanas, or Cream Legbars) and the other sex in brown egg laying breeds of various shades. Buff Orpingtons would be better for brooding than Jersey Giants as they're less apt to break the eggs on which they are sitting, however cityfarmer12 is correct, Silkies are the very best breed for brooding eggs. Or if you want a standard breed for brooding, Cochins would be the best. Both our Silkies and Cochins raised a number of broods for us. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in breeding your EEs.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

buff orpington or standard cochins if your looking for a large breed...if not, i love silkies and bantam cochins for hatching eggs...have had luck with all of them.

Because of their mixed heritage many EE hens go broody and are excellent mothers.

Back
Top Bottom