question?

Heating pad under the chicks would be a very unsafe option. They would have no way of getting away from it. Some folks have used a heating pad successfully by making a frame so it can make a type of cave over them, which would be open on both ends. I would be extremely cautious using one: You'd have to check to be sure it's putting out the right amount of heat, that the chicks can't get stuck under it, that it is approved for moist use, and that it doesn't overheat. It's very easy for a person to get burned by a heating pad, even when it's kept on low... not to mention the damage it could do to a chick.

I found a electric heating pad for people for 13 doallars, I was wondering if I could put it in a plastic bin for my chicks that should be coming any day now,I'll line the bottom with pine shavings then place the heating pad and then add more shaving on top, or is it a fire hazard still? Im trying to stay away from heat lamps because I hheard many stories were heat lamps woup fall and cause a fire
If your heat lamp is properly secured, it should be a fire hazard. However I buy chicks in late spring or summer so I am home most of the time. If you aren't home all the time and are still owrried about the heat lap causing a fire i would highly recommend. broody plate like @Ol Grey Mare suggested.

Heat lights are always a fire hazard. From busting, to falling, to overheating the wire to overheating the receptacle, shorting out the socket etc. although probably unlikely still possible.

Back
Top Bottom