Question

Yes, that's where I raise all of mine (in an outside brooder). I can't stand all of that dust they make in the house. Just make sure you have an appropriately sized bulb so they stay warm enough. Its been pretty chilly here (20F last night), so mine are under a 250 watt bulb right now.

Good luck.

I am brooding out in the greenhouse right now and their doing fine. It has been dropping down in the low 30's at night but no problems. They all pile up together to sleep but not under the light but about a foot away so they must think it's to hot under the light. My brooder is 3' x 4' and is closed up for drafts while it's cold but can be opened once it warms up during the day. Just watch your chicks if their running around playing their fine as long as they can get to heat when they want it.. If their all piled up together and peeping a lot their cold and either need more heat or moved to a warmer location.

I'll send a picture when I get off work today, its ugly, but functional :)

Edited to add picture: here it is, not much to look at, but it gets the job done!

Right now there's a feed bag over that big window in the front to hold a little extra heat in and keep drafts out. We've had some snow and some pretty bad wind over the last couple of weeks (though it was 64 degrees today!), so it was necessary. This picture was taken in early fall, I think, when it's warmer I just leave the feed bag off.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom