Questionable chickens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chicken Wanter, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] For some reason your picture links don't work. [​IMG] Try posting them here.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  2. Chicken Wanter

Chicken Wanter Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2013
    I think my chickens are meat chickens, but I'm raising them anyway.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Agreed, your links don't work. Use the photo button above the place where you type your reply to host the photos on BYC.

If they are Cornish X, then you'll have to be very, very careful about how you feed them, and you might lose them any way. So it is important for you to learn what you have before you plan how and what to feed them.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

It can be done, but is a struggle.. especially when you have other chickens that aren't over-eaters...

I have two I planned to breed.. but have a hard time restricting their feed when everyone else needs to eat, and don't eat as fast as the CX - so they are left hungry while the CX have crops stuffed.

[​IMG]
    This is my 17 week old girl. Boy is she huge... Really friendly and is getting around great.. but keeping her on a diet is tough, and is not for everyone.

5. Chicken Wanter

Chicken Wanter Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what my roosters look like (head, size, legs, etc.).

6. I am not sure, the tail says hen, but the dark red comb says rooster..

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think your chickens are male Cornish X, as those combs and wattles are really red/large for a pullet of that age.

8. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    That looks to be a Cornish X rooster. Like mentioned above keeping them alive and healthy will be a hard task they would need to be on a strict diet to avoid awful leg problems, immobility or heart attack. I find it wise to process CX at the appropriate age which is roughly 8weeks of age but that's is only my opinion.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by