Questionable pecking order problem - need advice!

Vintage Chick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 15, 2012
I thought I could do this on my own, but I now need help!

A couple of weeks ago, "out of the blue", one of my barred rocks decided to "target" one of my americanas. I have 14 hens, no rooster, they are all layers and about 6 months old. They have a large run, and 5 nesting boxes to share. I was almost being prideful about how well all my hens got along with one another. ~Pride comes before a fall.~

Anyway, Cricket (one BR out of 2) literally ZOOMS in on Snickers (1 out of 5 Americanas). Cricket is in a completely separate pen and she hates it, pacing back and forth. For 2 weeks now, about every 2nd or 3rd day, we reintroduce Cricket into the flock. She takes one side-ways glance at Snickers and goes after her, relentlessly. Snickers bows in submission taking the abuse. No one else bothers Snickers and there is nothing wrong or defective about her. In fact, she's slightly bigger than Cricket. We keep a close watch on them, and immediately remove Cricket back to her isolation.

So after two weeks, nothing has changed about Cricket's behavior. So now what do I do????

Can you say "soup chicken"?
hide.gif

Have you considered moving a rooster w/ your girls??? I started my flock w/ hens and had a similar problem... at some point one of them will take the role of the rooster... When I added a rooster to the flock things got under control.

My rooster is very small compared to the hens (he's a different breed) but his presence stopped that behavior.

I agree with having a rooster, it will probably help a lot. I have large hens, and the rooster that do have that keeps it under control is an Old English Game Bird, he is no bigger than a robin, but he is so good with my girls, gets them treats and make sure their is good behavior, when there is a problem, he "screams" at them, and they stop. I have a big Silver Laced Wyandotte rooster who is terrified of my little rooster. If for some reason you can't have a rooster, the next time she does that again, instead of putting her in the cage, hold her, for as long as you can, she will see that you are the dominant one, may take a few tries, but I hope it works. Before you pick her up, poke her on the back and make a rooster noise or some noise ;) just try to let her think you are the rooster and you are the boss! :p

Well, I don't plan on making Cricket stew. Hadn't thought of a rooster. Hmmmm....

I still question, why she picks on just ONE - and no one else. Any ideas? Or is this perhaps a sign of things to come with the others - is that what I'm "reading between the lines" with those who mentioned to get a rooster to keep them in line?

I did have another thought....
About a month ago I changed their feed. I have noticed that especially on the Buff Opringtons, their combs aren't as red and vibrant. Wondering if it's a coincidence, but I've read that if there is not enough protein in the diet, it can be a reason for more advanced pecking/bickering. This past week though, I've doled out kibble (32% protein!)

Thanks for the ideas!

I don't think it is the feed, sometimes a hen just does not like another hen. The rooster thing may work, or in my case, may not work. The Rooster just teamed up with my mean led hen, also a BR. So I got a smaller coop and put her and the Roo in there, I alternate free range days. Everyone is MUCH happier. Do you have that option? Maybe move her and her best buddy or two to a smaller coop.

I suspect Snickers is talking smack and Cricket is defending her social rank as best she can. Rooster could suppress much of the discord. Eventually, I bet Snickers will challenge Cricket for top position.

Here's what I did when I added a rooster, which by the way is a very little English Game Rooster too...

I noticed he was teaming up w/ the mean hen so I separated the mean hen for a while to let the rooster establish his leadership amongst the other hens. After a few days I added the mean hen ans things changed. She was not as abrasive and he would not let her dominate above him...

When you don't have a rooster a dominant hen will emerge and she will act like the rooster... she will event try to mount other hens and sometimed they even sing like roosters do... and worst of all, sometimes that hen will stop laying eggs.

A flock benefits a lot from roosters, they do have an important role besides fertilizing eggs
wink.png
... they lead and keep things in check... then the hens don't feel the need to fill that role... My difficult hen even went broody... she was soooo rooster-like I thought she would never sit ...

Sounds like you are having the same problem I am. I have one hen who is turning rooster like. She pecked my grandson in the eye, thank god she missed his eyeball. That is the second time she has done that. And if she ever tries that again it will be chicken and dumplings for sunday supper at my house! I noticed there has been a lot more fights in the run and it is always the same hen who starts it. I am going to try holding her after giving her a swift bop to the back of her head! She tries to challenge me at times, I have always made her squat down. The next fight I am going to step and pick her up. Hope it works! If it doesn't and I do remove her won't another one take her place?

Back
Top Bottom