1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Questions about 1st time processing

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ORChick, Jun 30, 2011.

1. ORChick

ORChick Songster

May 20, 2007
    Oregon
    One of my hens went broody 2 months ago, and hatched out 4 chicks. I don't know their gender yet, but am gearing up for all eventualities [​IMG]. I have room for 4 more girls, and can fit in 1 more rooster, but if there are more cockerels I can't keep them. These are not meat birds - one is pure Barnevelder, and 3 are BarnevelderxEE, so might be called dual purpose? I have not butchered any of my chickens before; I've been working up to it, but so far they are all layers - until these chicks hatched. So, a few questions, with the understanding that I will be doing only one bird at a time - no mass butchering for me, so speed etc. is not such an issue. I am willing to take rather more time if the process/end result is better:
    #1 - I am thinking that I will do the hatchet on the chopping block thing. I've done this once already, with a hen that needed to be put down, so know that I can (although she was in pain, and these possible cockerels will not be); any comments on the pros/cons of this?
    #2 - Can you comment on dry v. wet plucking? I read that wet is easier, but think that dry must be less messy. The few British descriptions I have read tend towards dry plucking, whereas Americans seem to prefer the wet method.
    #3 - Are there any good on line descriptions of the cleaning/eviscerating process? I think this step is the one that I have the least knowledge of, and which worries me the most.
    Thanks in advance for any advice. I wasn't really planning on taking this step quite so soon, but now I am of two minds about hoping for all girls or looking forward to the experience of having an extra boy (or more). I guess, as they are 5 weeks now, that I have 3 months or so to learn [​IMG].

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
  3. ORChick

ORChick Songster

May 20, 2007
    Oregon
    Thank you Ridgerunner; I suppose I should have looked a little harder before posting [​IMG]

4. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
  5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    No problem. I like the easy ones. Hope you find something that helps you.

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I keep Frugal's site on my favorites. [​IMG]

7. journeysendfarm

journeysendfarm In the Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    About to process a roo. I have 4 roos that are 9 weeks old and I am going to caponize them. 1st one is going to get culled so I can poke and prod for the first time without REALLY torturing.

So, my question is this (I know I have read this question with answer somewhere but dont' seem to find it at the moment):

After I process the culled roo, do I need to cut everything off and have it looking like it's about to go in my oven---but let it rest in my fridge for a few days? I am thinking that helps it to soften up.

Thanks for any tips, in advance!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by