*** Questions about a baby chicks head size ****

Dere

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
Hi there!

I am new to this board and relatively new to having chickens in our backyard.

Hear is my question. Out of our 12 chicks (2 Leghorns, 2 Barred Rocks, 4 Production Reds, 2 Buff Orpingtons and 2 Ameraucanas) They all appear normal, except our new Ameraucana chick. This one chicks head is about twice the size of all of the other chicks. So much larger in fact, that we have nicknamed "it" Owl. We purchased this chick from a feed store.

Thank you!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Can you post pictures of the chick? Is it eating/drinking acting normally otherwise? EE/Ameraucana do have puffy cheeks and beards usually so the chicks do seem to have big heads, but that sounds really extreme.

images

Welcome to BYC!

Yes, pics would definitely help. But as long as he is drinking, eating and keeping up with the others, it may not be a problem.

Enjoy your new babies! Keep us posted on Owl and welcome to our flock!

Thank you -- I uploaded some pictures -- "Owl" is eating & drinking normally at this time.

Thank you -- I uploaded some pictures -- "Owl" is eating & drinking normally at this time.

Wow, he does have a big head! As long as he is acting normal, I wouldn't worry much about it. Sometimes chicks start out big but the others can catch up to them in the end.

Thanks! "Owl" just really looks like an owlet. Would be funny if Owl turns out to be some sort of hybrid.

Back
Top Bottom