Questions about all purpose disinfectant and general maintenance......

juliemom25

Songster
11 Years
Apr 4, 2009
I need to know what I should to use to disinfect the coop and the feeders. Our meat birds are leaving tomorrow and our hens are out in the coop now and I want to get everything cleaned up (especially the feeders). I would prefer to use something that I can buy locally or already have at home. What do you all use?

Also, what do you recommend to have on hand for general maintenance care? I plan to get some DE, but what else? Like what is Blue Kote? How about tee tree oil? I would like to get a basic stock of things on hand without going overboard.

THanks!

Julie

I use a bleach and water solution to clean everything. The ratio is 1:10.

To keep bugs away and to keep the smell down in the coop, use DE or wood ashes.

That's pretty much all I do. My flock stays pretty darn healthy without any interference from me.

Blu Kote is a treatment used for small wounds from pecking, or any other small wound.

I simply use wood chips for litter and stir is well once a week.Every year i rack it all outside into the run and add more litter.
I also throw my decomposable left overs out there along with their food.They stir it all up and once a year i scoop it out before i clean out the coop.Makes for great fertilizer.They really seem to like scratching around in it.Flies aren't much more of an issue then would normally be the case here.Pretty easy work.

I'm sorry I should have mentioned I have a 8x16 enclosed run.Bad hawks,foxes,coons,cyotes,and well most things that love chicken.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom