Questions about breeding my buff orpington rooster??

kbreak

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 1, 2011
Columbia, MS
I am a beginner with chickens so please bear with me. I have a Buff Orpington rooster with a variety of hens. I have a couple of buff orp hens, 2 red sexlinked hens(i think), 1 RIR, 2 EE, and 2 australorps, will also have lavender orps too. I wanted to make sure it is ok for those to breed. Someone told me there are some breeds you don't want to mix. Trying to make sure these are ok.
Is there anything I can breed with my rooster to give me sexlinked chicks?
What would I come up with breeding my rooster with the australorps?
Also I have a bantam rooster that breeds these hens also,. Is that ok?
Is there a place I can go to find out more info on breeding what to what gives what?

as far as i know you can breed them all together. i dont think you can get any sexlinks. theres really no telling what you will get from crossing them with all the gentics in play. the other rooster shouold be fine as long as they dont fight and with him in you may even get bantam crosses as well.

is there in type of hen to breed to my rooster that might give sexlinked chicks.?
what about the buff and the austalorps?

I have a freely ranging flock of all sorts of breeds, and with multiple roosters. As a result, there are a lot of little cross-breeds in the flock.

You don't really come up with anything like a particular breed, and sex-links are merely hybrids, which are themselves just cross breeds.

your buff and black australorps will not produce sexlinks, however you may very well love the looks of them. You won't be able to sex them early though.

Mine free range also. Want to make sure I don't come up eith some awful breed. Maybe someone could tell me what would be good to breed to get good eggs and chicks.

Quote:
im not sure if buff is a sexlink related color as red, white, and barred colors are.

you might get all black chicks or black chicks with gold leakage or a combination of both there really is no telling.

Quote:
Okay to breed together.
However with the breeds listed I don't see any potencial sexlinks. If you had some kind of barred breed the Buff Orp with barred hens would make sexlinks.

There have been people that bred BO roo to australorps and said they were sexlinked, but not all are. It's not a dependable sex link cross at all.

Back
Top Bottom