Questions about Buckeyes and Wyandottes

NightingaleJen

Crowing
12 Years
May 25, 2011
From Motown to Rural Ohio
We're looking to add to the flock and I am wondering:

Do Buckeyes do well with confinement in a good-sized (ATM, 18x30ish; presently working on expansion) run? Under current circumstances I cannot let the flock range as often as we used to.

How well do the various Wyandottes handle heat and humidity? I'm sure our often-frigid winter nights won't bother them a whole lot, but our summers can be quite hot and humid. Our flock has done well the past two summers, including during lengthy heat waves, thanks to lots of cool water, ice blocks, and shade from trees and shade cloths, plus of course that dust bath (new and improved with a shade-throwing roof as of last fall!), but I don't want to add birds who will really suffer from such weather regardless of the care I can provide.

My Buckeyes did well in confinement, though we also did yard range them. I liked my Buckeyes. They were extremely friendly. They are a better meat bird than layer. As layers, the hens were so-so, so I went another direction. But, I would do Buckeyes again. They are very nice tempered birds.

I do live in a temperament climate (Pacific Northwest Oregon). However we do get some hot spells. My Wyandottes seemed no more stressed by heat than my others when we had hot spells. I found my Wyandottes only average layers as they are dual purpose and went elsewhere. (I got interested in egg color, so I went that direction).

But overall in my limited experience I think you will really like the Buckeye (I would do again). Get good quality Wyandottes for better laying, though they are supposed to be good winter layers. (I don't recall them being excessively so).

Others will chime in better for hot climate and Wyandottes, but they were developed in upper state New York, so they should be very cold hardy.

My 2 cents. Hopefully others will chime in too.
LofMc

Back
Top Bottom