Questions about butchering a RIR. HELP PLEASE...

nursesammy

Songster
9 Years
Mar 21, 2010
Alta Vista , KS
our 1yr old RIR roo is so very rough with our hens. He has no clue what hes doing. Lol anyway ive tried giving him away and no one will take him. Of course. My husband suggested butchering but is he going to be any good? Texture, taste? Any suggestions?

After he is processed and all organs removed let him "cure" in the fridge for 4-5 days. This will let some of the proteins break down. I use a little lemon juice the last day or curing to help tenderize and add a little extra flavor.

Matt

Ok so how do you "cure" ? I dont typically butcher my chickens so i have no clue what im doing here. What about a rotissore would that do any good?

Last edited:
Mine were mostly RIR roo's so I am watching this thread.

We soaked them in salt water after they were cleaned up and before we brought them in the house. They have been in the fridge 24 hrs now and I plan on putting them in the freezer tomorrow. Is that enough time to leave them in the fridge before freezing??

I plan on soups and casseroles with these chickens.

I'd say no- butchering older birds is kind of gross, and the meat isn't great. However, that's my own opinion only, and most people probably disagree with me.

We had to butcher our almost one-year old BO rooster for the same sort of reason. I noticed he had MUCH more fat than a younger bird, but we roasted him (turkey style) and he tasted fine.

( It was very strange, I couldn't find a bile duct anywhere, but that liver was the yummiest. The young roo's I have butchered this season (only two) have had very large bile ducts.)

Definitely let the meat rest for 4-5 days, then make a favorite marinade and slow cook at low heat allllll day.

Tough old roosters are good for shredded chicken meat like pot pies, soups, and chicken salad, pulled chicken, and things.

Or they make excellent stock and dog food if nothing else.

Back
Top Bottom