Questions about Call ducks now.......

pinkfeather

Songster
12 Years
Dec 3, 2007
CT
Hey Everyone!

Ok, I asked about Mandarins, now onto the call ducks (the other breed I'm interested in) -

What kind of housing/run do they need?
What is the average cost for a pair of call ducks?
What is their laying cycle like (can you collect eggs from them or do they just lay like 8 eggs and go broody)?
And how tame can call ducks get (can you get them to trust you enough so you can hold and pet them like chickens, get them to eat out of your hand, etc.)?

Thanks!

Quote:
I have mine in an enclosed pen with a dog house (which they never use!!) for shelter

Price varies with the quality of the birds.

They're seasonal layers...mine lay March thru end of June/beginning of July. Mine will keep laying if I take the eggs away.

Mine aren't wild, but they're not fond about being held and some of them I've had for 7 years.

My answers are about the same - enclosed pen with dog house. Mine use the house to build their nests. They will hatch their ducklings inside their houses. We had one drake that was the only one that hatched. He was very bonded to people. Even as an adult he would follow you around and allow you to carry him. While the rest of mine aren't as friendly, once caught, they do allow you to hold them. The more they are worked with, the friendlier they get.

Back
Top Bottom