jazzblossom

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2021
Hello! I have a few questions about chickens that eat their own eggs.

1) First I'm curious to know if anyone here allows their chickens to eat their own eggs since I've read that chickens need to eat their eggs for necessary nutrients.

2) I'm also wondering if any nutritionist here know how many eggs chickens should eat in a day? Or anything regarding this subject.

3) Another question I have is about chickens that got into the habit of eating their own eggs. Do they eat all their eggs right away or do usually leave some behind?

I'm eager to learn anything from those who have experienced this with their chickens. Thank you!

1. No it is not necessary for them to eat their own eggs.

2. Eggs would be a treat so if given should not comprise more than 10% of their daily food.

3. Chickens becoming egg eaters is not a very common issue. Usually if they do eat an egg in the nest it is because it was shell less, was cracked or had a very thin shell. Occasionally a hen will get into the habit of doing it but that is rare.

Never too much eggs ... I give them away, some sell the extras.

1. I don't allow my chickens to eat their eggs. It's been said they're looking for the extra protein (feather eating) ... I feed Flock Raiser (20%) with Oyster Shells on the side, used to feed layer (16%) but prefer the results I get with FR.

2. No clue how many eggs a day.

3. Habitual egg eaters waste of feed. Break the habit or freezer camp.

1. No it is not necessary for them to eat their own eggs.

2. Eggs would be a treat so if given should not comprise more than 10% of their daily food.

3. Chickens becoming egg eaters is not a very common issue. Usually if they do eat an egg in the nest it is because it was shell less, was cracked or had a very thin shell. Occasionally a hen will get into the habit of doing it but that is rare.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom