Questions about coturnix quail.

Valeriemichelle

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 23, 2010
I just hatched 9 quail eggs. They are about 3 days old. I was just wondering, when do they start getting in their feathers?
I can tell that some of the fur on their wings are already starting to fall off.

& also, When do they start trying to fly? A few of them are starting to jump high and i'm afraid they are going to get out of their box. I just really don't want my dogs to get them if they get out! When should I switch to a deeper box? The one I'm using now if probably a little more then a foot high.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
thumbsup.gif

They start to feather in around a few days old, just like a chick. You need a lid on any type of quail brooder (no matter how deep) after about a week as they are VERY good at jumping/flying out.

Im not an expert by any means, but mine are about 2.5 weeks old and just about completely feathered out.
I just put them outside today.
Its about 60-65 degrees at night, 80s during the day.

I went and checked them about 15 mins ago, and they were huddled up together but look fine and they werent so tight as to suffocate each other.

Mine have jumped since day 1, but I handled them and spent time around them while in the brooder, and they are not so jumpy anymore, they actually come looking for food when I come around now.
They remind me of small chickens.

usually within 3 to 4 days feather will start to show on wings Around 2 wks they are almaost fully featherd. Lacking a few on under belly and a few around eye area. i keep a lid on mine at all times b/c before you know it they can fly or jump out.

Back
Top Bottom