Questions about Dobermans

hollyclyff

Songster
12 Years
May 18, 2007
NC
I know there are some Doberman owners on here, so I thought I'd try to get some opinions from you guys. My husband thinks he would like to get one. I have always admired the breed and have known some really nice ones (and also some not so nice ones). If we did get one, it would come from a reputable breeder. I used to show and breed Dachshunds, so I know how to go about finding a good breeder. Also the puppy would be well socialized and taken to obedience class.
How are Dobermans with regard to shedding? They would seem to be similar to Dachshunds since they have the same type coat. Dachshunds do shed some, but not terribly like a shepherd, lab or collie type coat.
Also, we currently have three miniature Dachshunds, one older, intact male (AKC champion) and two spayed females. The male has lived with two other submissive neutered male Dachsies and was fine, but he didn't care much for his own sons when they were just puppies. He was fine with his daughter though and has always gotten along fine with any female dog he has ever met. One of the females is easy going and fine with anyone. The other needs to get to know another dog well before she is OK. But oddly, she accepts other Dachshunds right away. She is the one I'm most concerned about. Is it a disaster waiting to happen to introduce a Doberman into this mix? Anyone have experience with Dobermans and small dogs with terrier attitudes? My husband prefers a female and she would be spayed - he already has her named!
Any opinions?

Typically introducing a puppy is much easier than an adult. If she is a young dog and the other dogs are able to "get their bluff" in on her while she is "young and dumb" then it would most likely work. There are exceptions to everything of course but I would say if it is a young puppy then the chances of things working out are better.
BTW, all Dobies I've known have been very easy-going and amicable with other dogs. They are one of my favorite breeds.

Last edited:
I have a 3 y/o dobie, and yes they do shed little fine hairs most of the time similar to your Dachshunds. As far as introductions, at one time I had fostered a min pin with him, and had great success. he actually does better playing with the little dogs than the larger ones. Just watch them durring the introductions, and let them work things out on their own without lettiing things get out of hand. Best of luck, and you will love him/her. Mine is the best dog I have ever had the joy of sharing my life with.

BTW: He is also great with the chickens.

I raise Boxers - so I dont have any hands on experience with Dobermans - I have been around a few really great ones.

I think with most dog breeds when you bring home a new pup - there is going to be a little confusion on the part of the older dogs - no matter what

when I bring a new pup into the family I try to get the pup as young as I can - it helps my male boxer - he will get along great with any puppy male or female if I bring them home early enough but once the male pup gets to about a yr old and IF one of my females is in heat my male tends to get rough on the younger males. So we try to make all new comers into the family females LOL.

I think as long as you are in the room when all the dogs are together - you will be able to advoid anything that might turn bad. Try not to give the puppy more love than your other dogs ( I know it is hard not to love on a puppy lol ) but giving the younger pup more loving might make your other dogs jealous. I also would feed the puppy away from the older dogs also - just in case someone wants to try and bullie the young pup out of her food.

A renter had a brown dobie and we have very light tile. The owner swept everyday but I still saw hair all over the area were the dog was. The dog had been gone since march and though we sweep daily we're still finding hair over here. Reminded me of how things were when we'd let in the shepard mix except with much smaller bits of hair that were harder to see until we swept up and then we'd have a noticible pile of them.

It was a very well trained dog but looks like it was a protection dog. He was sweet with me and my mother who he saw everyday but my father and sister got growled at a couple times

Last edited:
doberman shedding = shop vac. easiest way to clean up the fine hair, and Cajun brought up a good point about spaying females, theuterin ligament bands are connected to the bladder and once cut they become incontenent .
I am an advocate for spay/neuter but not in the case of a Female Doberman.

Last edited:
I lived with a roommate who had a dobie (male) - Magnum was his name - and while she loved the dog and, he was nice for the most part (when he was younger and no kids)....he marked his territory on EVERY piece of MY furniture, clothing, bed everything
roll.png
. Ruined the carpets and whatnot - oddly he did it to her stuff only when she left him for more than 10 hours, but to my stuff.. constantly. Needless to say the situation didnt last long. He was pretty mean to other people and very protective of her. When she finally moved out, she had to replace everything he ruined.

He did attack not only her kids when she finally had them but my daughter as well. He was just not brought up around children and wasnt introduced to them until he was well into his adult years. Shame really because he had to finally be put down because of it.

They do shed though... small little cumbersum hairs and they do tend to have some health issues (the breed in general) from what I can remember.

Last edited:
I've had 3 Dobies, all from either the Illinois Doberman Rescue or a shelter -- they are supurb dogs, all have been exceptional around kids and other animals.

That said, my female Dobe mix has a HIGH prey drive, meaning that she will chase just about anything that looks like a cat (or anything cat-sized). I've had her since 10 months old, and she's been that way all along. The other Dobes I had were not that way -- could care less about smaller critters.

I think a young dog would be fine, just watch out for signs of a high prey drive.

Also, 2 of my 3 Dobes were spayed females -- neither were incontinent.

Gwen

Back
Top Bottom