Questions about Dobermans

We had Dobies growing up and none of our spayed females had incontinence issues.

My Shar Pei x did, but that's common in older spayed females. Once she was put on meds, she was fine.

I've got a female dobie. She's spayed and is not incontinent. She does shed but not ANYWHERE close to as much as the lab/dane mix! Seriously! And quite honestly, I'd have to say that she's one of the gentlest, sweetest, smartest dogs we've had....but then we've always had danes who typically aren't known for being just extraordinarily bright.

Quote:
I have 2 dobermans and will tell you right now, I will not own any other breed as long as I live! They are the best dogs, the are wonderful with kids, visitors, other animals. I have 2 kids of my own, 5 and 8, and watch 3 during the week that are 2, 15 months and 1 year. Those kids play all over my boys. They examine their feet, noses, teeth, ears...both of mine just lay like they are at the spa! I was always afraid of them until my DH decided he wanted one. I was leery but went along with it. I am so glad! We started with a mini pin, who is almost 9 now, then we got our older doberman, Major and he is 8. Our second doberman , Ace is 1 1/2. He is a big sweetie pie but knows when he needs to do his job. Both are very protective, but not at all aggressive. They will definitely let you know when someone approaches. I take them out with us every where, it is nice for people to see that they all aren't the vicious killing machines that they are portrayed to be on tv. As with any dog, without proper socialization, I am sure they could be, but they are all around a good dog!
As for shedding, yes they do shed, but not nearly as bad as a long haired dog. If you get a good vacuum, you are good to go! And even better yet, if you only have one, not bad at all!
I think introducing a puppy would be best, your dachshunds will put her in her place and learn who is boss, no matter what the size! My minpin rules everyone here and they obey!
Personally, I like feeling safe and secure with them here. I know when my kids are outside, no one will have a chance to get near those kids. Just last night, my older dobe was standing between me and my mom's dogs, he would not let them near me..guess he thought he was protecting me lol!

Here are my boys

Major doing what he does best:
2008Babies008.jpg

ChristmasandDogs015.jpg

Picss004.jpg

Ace doing what he does best (keeping an eye out):
SDC10599.jpg

My daughter and they boys
ChristmasandDogs025-1.jpg

My son and his beast:
NewPuppy022.jpg

both
AceandMajor007.jpg

I have a dober-mutt, and a rescued female dobe.

I used to have a beagle/shep mix, and a Siberian Husky.

I am totally spoiled by the dober-coat.

Yes they do shed, but the hairs are so small and fine.

Any pup female or male will be easy to introduce to your already existent pack.

My female who isn't spayed yet, does get snappy with other female dogs that she doesn't know.

They are both very protective of me.
It's in their blood, you will never have to teach them this. But it's SUPER important that you socialize your pup a plenty!

Jasmine and my nieces.
3099831676_976f5a348e.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I agree with alot of these posts. As a dog trainer, you should definately do your homework on breeders. Find a good one! Also do your homework on breed specific problems. I know dobies have several. But you can find breeders out there that try to breed these problems out and there for can be a better bread dog. As for temperment, they are one of the most well adjusted breeds out there.Yes, they are not the #1 smartest dog, but in my opinion they might as well be. They are intuietive, eager to learn and very sweet. They have alot of get up and go when needed and then can be super soft when needed too. They are really a great dog for families. But with any dog some training and most importantly socalization is key! Some of these problems posted here are just a lack of socalization. Everyone in your family should have the same level of reposoncibility when it comes to the socialization. So that as your pup grows up it will learn to respect all human family members the same equally. About the shedding, Every dog sheds. There is no getting around that. This dog will shed but it is by no means excessive. a SHOP VAC or vaccum will do the trick. Also, feeding a really good food will help to. When the dog is not getting what he needs nutritionally he will blow his coat more often. Good food will also help him stay healthier longer. Ask the breeder what he feeds. It is a good start. When you introduce the pup to the other dogs. Dont coddle him. just let things happen( within reason) dont allow blood shed! The more relaxed and happy you are the better it will go. Your doxies will feed off your energy, so keep it playful and fun. Odds are everything will go great. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW FAMILY MEMBER. Let us know how it goes. If you would like to contact me about anything else please feel free.~ Tacey

Thanks for all the comments. We're not jumping into anything right now, just considering it.

I have a doberman - who is 10 months old.

He does shed but not alot

Introductions to other pet (new) has to be slow

he has a very strong chase and hunt drive

he is a great chicken herder - if the chickens get out of the pen he chases them and pins them down until i can catch up and get the chicken although - - he killed all my guineas when he was about 5 months old. He is fine now since he is older but as a younger pup - his instint to chase and kill were too strong...

He does great at herding cows

He has my heart and is the joker of the house...strong and protective and yet a clown and joker!

he doesnt like strangers and will warn them to stay away unless I approach them...then he tolerates them.

A total baby at the vets office - all his strong regal ways turns into a whimpy little guy because he is out of his territory...they are VERY TERRITORIAL!!!!!!!~

I've had 5 dobies. I prefer the females to the males. I had one that was incontinent once she got older so I put off spaying my current dobie, Tasha and wound up with 5 half doberman half westie puppies.
All my dobies have been extraordinary dogs. They are sweet, loving, fun, smart and elegant. They are just a beautiful dog and it is breathtaking to watch even my old Tasha trot around. Most all of them killed a chicken or two before I was able to lay down the law. I find they really want to please and not get in trouble. If something is labelled as Bad they will go out of their way to avoid it. Tasha, Marzee and my first dobie Sasha were/are not watchdogs. They love/d everyone. Jade and Zeus were watchdogs, but just ordinary, no danger of biting anyone. If someone knocks on the door my westie and half westie go crazy, Tasha continues eating or goes back to sleep.
Tasha sheds some. I can't tell you what it is like to have a good Dobie, they are so fantastic. I dread the day she passes on.

Back
Top Bottom