Questions about dog x-rays - UPDATE!

I've had 3 different dogs x-rayed, by 3 different vets. I went in with them and held them while the tech took the x-rays.

Maybe it was because 2 were Rottweilers and the other was an American Eskimo who would bite anyone. None of them were sedated.

This was several years ago and I knew each of the vets, so maybe that was why I was allowed to go with them.

Jean

Well I would call the vet, tell them your concerns. No use getting worked up about it, they may be totally fine with you being there and ease your fears right off the bat. Also you have rights as the owner anyway as you are your dog's advocate. Many pets do better without their owner in the room.. I know my dogs are babies getting their nails cut if I'm there but if I'm not.. they are fine. Your dog has different issues because of her background, make sure the vet understands this is about your dog.. not about their competency.

There is a great book put out by a vet abot this very issue.. called "Speaking for Spot " , I'd recommend it to any pet owner. It tells you what to look for , expect and how to interact with your vet to get the best care.

www.speakingforspot.com

I saw the author ( a vet) speak at a canine cancer walk and she was just incredible.

Anyway, good luck!

Nancy

my mom works for a vet, and has never had to sedate a dog to get an xray. if it takes 4 people to hold a dog down, they can do it. There should be no reason you have to leave the dog there... The xray takes seconds to do.

After I talked to my DH I called the vet that's an hour away, the one our vet recommended.
I explained to them that I am not looking to switch vets, we just need an x-ray to assist our vet in treating Charlie.
I also told them I won't be leaving Charlie and that I seriously doubt Charlie will need sedation in her weakened condition.
They agreed and will see her on Friday. The appt. has to wait for Friday because I cannot lift and carry Charlie, so my DH needs to go with us.
Now at least we can get some answers. If it turns out that Charlie needs to be euthanized, I'm hoping that my DH will be strong enough to allow it. I sent him a webpage copy of The Rainbow Bridge last night and he seems more accepting of the possibility of losing her now.
Thanks for all your help.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom