Questions about Frizzle Cochins and Silkies

Cels

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
Hello! I recently picked up eight chicks: 2 Black Frizzle Cochins, 1 Splash Silkie, 3 White Silkies, and 2 Blue! I am loving them to pieces, but had some questions regarding breed aesthetics.

The two Cochins are from Ideal Poultry, and are approximately 2 weeks old. My question is: should they both be showing the frizzled feathers by this age? I have been trying to read through the forums, as well as information from other websites, and all that I have been able to find is people stating it can show anywhere from hatching to one week of age. One chick is already showing the frizzle feathering. The other chick has already grown in a significant amount of feathers on its wings, but they are completely straight. I called the hatchery to see if all of their Frizzles are guaranteed to show the trait, and they stated yes and to keep an eye on it; if it does not start curling, they told me to take photos and send it to them and they will refund me. How long is long enough to wait, or is two weeks adequate time to determine that they are not going to curl?

Also, will Silkies that have a nice round crest as hatchlings most likely grow to have nice round crests, and can Silkie chicks that don't show much of a poof at 1-2 week of age grow to have a nice crest?

I'd love to see "before" and "after" pictures of your Silkie pullets/cockerials and what they grew up to look like!

Here is the Frizzle I am speaking of compared to its brother/sister (first is straight feathered, second is frizzled):

The closer I look at the wings, the more I'm thinking they might be slightly "messier" than a typical Cochin's feathers, so perhaps he's just a late curler? The second chicks is very obviously frizzled.

And here are the Silkies I'm wondering about:

1) This chick has almost a bald ring around where its puff should be in front of, but the puff isn't quite discernible. The feathering around its neck is very puffy though.

2) This chick has no real crown definition and the feathers on its head are about the same length as his neck/body.

3 &4) These chicks looks like they have a cotton ball on their heads, and have been this way since the first day they hatched. Think it will stay this way?

I'm really new to chickens, so I don't quite know what is "normal" for chicks and how they develop aesthetically. I know that you can tell a dog's structural soundness and coat when they are puppies, but I didn't know if chickens were the same. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Edit: Picture formatting

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom