Questions about Golden Comets and other similair crossbreeds.

birdlover2

Crowing
Jan 28, 2019
Ohio
When researching Golden Comets to see what their roosters look like I found some information that confused me. I had been told/thought that Golden Comets were crossbreeds between Rhode Island Reds and White Leghorns. However, when I looked them up today some websites said they were crosses between New Hampshire Red roosters and White Plymouth Rock hens. Another website, however, said they were a cross between a Rhode Island Red rooster and a Rhode Island White, and apparently there are also Red Stars? Does it matter what chickens you breed as long as it's a red rooster and a white hen, do all create Golden Comets or something similair? And what would a Rhode Island Red White Leghorn crossbreed look like? Also, since these are sex links, what would their chicks look like? Any information would be helpful, thanks.

The chicks are color sexed. The pullets are dark gold, through orange to red and the cockerels are yellow to white. Depending on the breeds used.
Yes, most red roosters over most white hens will create Red Sex-links, and most hatcheries have their own formulas. Personally, I like the Leghorn derived ones best.

Thanks for your reply. So basically, any red rooster over white hen cross-breeds will create a Red Sex-link crossbreed? Is there a proper name for these type of cross-breeds, and could I call them all Golden Comets? And cool that you like the leghorn derived ones, I love leghorns :)

They're all red sexlinks, as RiverOtter explained. Different hatcheries will have different names and use different breeds of red and white birds for their line of hybrids.

What breeds are used does matter in terms of what traits you get but the names of hybrids aren't always a good way to tell what that mix is. Generally, you'll see folks here just use red sexlinks instead of golden comets, golden buffs, etc. There are just too many different names/variations. Gotta read about or talk to the breeder/hatchery for specifics.

The productivity of the leghorns makes them a popular choice but they are certainly not the only option for making sexlinked chicks. My understanding is that using them and a RIR will generally get you productive laying chickens with a lighter build than using white rocks. And as explained, the resulting girls will be orange-ish to red and boys white so you can sex them as chicks. Hope this helps.

They're all red sexlinks, as RiverOtter explained. Different hatcheries will have different names and use different breeds of red and white birds for their line of hybrids.

What breeds are used does matter in terms of what traits you get but the names of hybrids aren't always a good way to tell what that mix is. Generally, you'll see folks here just use red sexlinks instead of golden comets, golden buffs, etc. There are just too many different names/variations. Gotta read about or talk to the breeder/hatchery for specifics.

The productivity of the leghorns makes them a popular choice but they are certainly not the only option for making sexlinked chicks. My understanding is that using them and a RIR will generally get you productive laying chickens with a lighter build than using white rocks. And as explained, the resulting girls will be orange-ish to red and boys white so you can sex them as chicks. Hope this helps.
That does help, thanks to you and River Otter for helping un-confuse me on this issue :) And thank you for telling me what a RIR and Leghorn crossbreed would likely be, now I have a good idea.

A note about the Leghorn/RIR cross. The females are the lightest RSLs I've raised, which personally, I don't mind, they're light on the feed bill but fill up the egg carton. But the males were the best dual-purpose type birds I ever raised for meat!! Very fast growing and breasty. They were hands-down the best for butchering out at any point between 12 and 16 weeks. Other breeds might get bigger eventually, but even so, none had as much breast meat.

A note about the Leghorn/RIR cross. The females are the lightest RSLs I've raised, which personally, I don't mind, they're light on the feed bill but fill up the egg carton. But the males were the best dual-purpose type birds I ever raised for meat!! Very fast growing and breasty. They were hands-down the best for butchering out at any point between 12 and 16 weeks. Other breeds might get bigger eventually, but even so, none had as much breast meat.
I'll keep that in mind if I ever need a good meat-bird! (I personally keep chickens mainly for eggs and as pets, and don't think I'd be able to kill them, but seeing the way the world is going it may be wise to start producing meat on one's own!) Interesting that the females are really small but the males are really big.

Compatibility?? For the past 5 years I've been all about Muscovy ducks. Now I am being introduced by my nephew to sex-linked chickens, specifically called "Comets". We have placed the coop in the aviary with the ducks and have five 8 week old chicks in it. Should I be anticipating any problems between the ducks and chickens?

Back
Top Bottom