Questions about hatching with our broody hen

bhawk-23

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2020
East Central Illinois
We have a broody hen for about 30 hours now. If she stays on the nest for another 24 hours we are considering hatching some eggs.

First, I see differing opinions about moving a hen and eggs right away or allowing her to hatch where she has chosen and then move mom and chicks. Our coop is big enough to possibly set up her own broody box but this would require moving her. We can set up a separate small coop when chicks hatch for them to have their own space.

We currently have 8 hens (all raised together) and 4 nesting boxes. Two are two 12" X 12" and one 12" X 24" with all non broody hens ok with using the 3 open boxes. We covered Ms. Broody to allow the other girls in to lay (they were hesitant to upset her) and all is well now.

She is our biggest and top hen and has only been challenged a couple times by 3 daring hens. No hens dare cross her now. Hahaha Does this give a better chance of her chicks being protected by her and kept safe?

If all seems well and we decide to do this, where can we find fertile eggs? Will ordering take too long to get here at this point? We are located in east central Illinois.

Thank you for any and all comments!!

Cara

You can try her where she is and see how it goes.

If other hens are around, use a permanent marker to identify the fertile eggs since other hens might sneak in and lay an egg in her nest or she may steal eggs for other nest boxes.

ebay, craigslist or someone on your local state thread might be able to help get fertile eggs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/find-your-states-thread.270925/

My advise leave her where she be. She will take care of everything. Do not move her after they hatch like I said she will take care of it all that’s the best part of a broody hen. I have everything from 1 week olds to 2 year olds running around the coop/yard. If they are not separated you will not have the issue of reintroducing them later.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom