Questions about imprinting...

Sep 26, 2019
Western Pennsylvania
I have 2 Embdens (both are a week old now). And they’re super cute and healthy. I got them day one though from a local farmer and I think they “imprinted” on me, because they follow me everywhere and whenever I leave the room they won’t stop crying. Adorable, yes- but I'm starting to get concerned. I've owned a lot of poultry over the years, but never geese, and never day one babies that imprinted on me. I was planning on keeping them inside for another week or so, and then transitioning them to our large coop & run where they'd reside with ducks and chickens. They of course get their own cornered off sections where they are safe to grow up from any possible aggression from other birds, but are they safe from themselves? They seem suicidal without me, yeesh. They're trying to squeeze through every tiny crack in their pens to get to me, and knocking over all their food and water and crying NONSTOP if I leave the room. My questions are: Will they grow out of this stage? If I leave them outside in their own pen area are they gonna die from freaking out? Has this happened to anyone on here, and if so, what did you do, and how did things go?

They’re babies and naturally they would always have their parents there to protect them until they’re much older. This young they’re terrified to be alone. Geese are very social and are Velcro babies, the more time you spend with them now will improve their relationship with you once they’re mature, you could add a mirror, but that only does so much.

They’re babies and naturally they would always have their parents there to protect them until they’re much older. This young they’re terrified to be alone. Geese are very social and are Velcro babies, the more time you spend with them now will improve their relationship with you once they’re mature, you could add a mirror, but that only does so much.
Thank you for the response. So, will they be okay when they're outside without me? I will of course visit and cuddle throughout the day when they're out there.

Thank you for the response. So, will they be okay when they're outside without me? I will of course visit and cuddle throughout the day when they're out there.
It really depends on how predator proof their area will be and what temperature it is at night, 2 weeks old seems a bit young to be out on their own. Usually with mine, they spend the first several weeks around me during the day and spend the night in their bedtime area, usually by week four or five is when I’ll start transitioning, they’re still really young and still wouldn’t be without their parents, but they’re a bit more stable/hardier at that age, and they start spending more time together in their big bird pen, obviously most people have jobs and aren’t able to devote that much time, it’s really up to you of what you can manage, the most important thing is to make sure that they are safe, they’re still really young now so they need that extra amount of attention.

It really depends on how predator proof their area will be and what temperature it is at night, 2 weeks old seems a bit young to be out on their own. Usually with mine, they spend the first several weeks around me during the day and spend the night in their bedtime area, usually by week four or five is when I’ll start transitioning, they’re still really young and still wouldn’t be without their parents, but they’re a bit more stable/hardier at that age, and they start spending more time together in their big bird pen, obviously most people have jobs and aren’t able to devote that much time, it’s really up to you of what you can manage, the most important thing is to make sure that they are safe, they’re still really young now so they need that extra amount of attention.
Cool. Yeah predator safety is good here. I'm obsessed with it. They have fort knox for a coop and run and all sorts of decoys, motion sensor lights, gadgets, wifi cameras. I just wanna make sure they're happy too. Thank you.

My oldest is just about 7 weeks now and I'll soon be transitioning him to the outside run ( I want to make sure he is big enough, feathered enough and waterproof before I leave him out there permanently) when I first got him I couldn't even be in the same room and out of sight without him and his brother screaming madly for me but they have since gotten better and can quite happily mooch about in the garden on their own without getting too worried I'm not there, of course I leave the door open so they can hop right back in if they get worried.

My oldest is just about 7 weeks now and I'll soon be transitioning him to the outside run ( I want to make sure he is big enough, feathered enough and waterproof before I leave him out there permanently) when I first got him I couldn't even be in the same room and out of sight without him and his brother screaming madly for me but they have since gotten better and can quite happily mooch about in the garden on their own without getting too worried I'm not there, of course I leave the door open so they can hop right back in if they get worried.
That gives me real comfort, thank you :)

Embrace it. You will probably have leeches for the rest of their years. Although mine are a few years old and are independent of me when I am not outside they still stick to me like glue when I am out and are very jealous of the other fowl I own as well. They were fine when I had to put them outside as babies but I definitely understand the anxiety. I remember checking on them multiple times through the night that first night

I have a galvanised mesh run for them to transition to when they move outside but as long as I have a slightly smaller shelter they can stay warm and dry inside of the larger run I think i'll be happy to let them go about their thing.

Back
Top Bottom