Questions about incubating Guinea Fowl Eggs!

I'm getting my very first batch of guinea eggs....my very first batch of ANY kind of eggs tomorrow!! I've read a bunch here, and I know the temp, the length of time, candling, lockdown, don't help them, etc, THANK YOU, but what I can't find is how to measure and raise or lower the temperature? I have a still air incubator, no fan or turner or anything extra. My plan was to make a small pencil mark on one side of each egg, put them in, and then turn gently and quickly 3 times a day. What do I do about humidity? Stick a wet rag in? Help! I have no idea how I missed this info in all my months of study! Thanks in advance!!

Where did you get your incubator? It should have a little control on the top if you purchased from a local supply store, as far as the humidity I kept all my "wells" inside the incubator full for the most part, once I seen the water begin to evaporate I filled it back up. I'm far from and expert i'm on my second batch of eggs as we speak!

Haha great pics!
I'm incubating 8 of my guineas own eggs. I had to throw out 2 yesterday on day 7 for bacteria rings. I have two im almost certain are coming along and the other four are all mysteries still.

I have hatched chickens in my incubator and I keep them at 65% humidity and then raise to 70 the last few days. I just read that the guineas only need about 40% humidity???

It really depends on your local conditions and how accurate your hygrometer is. If what you are doing is giving you good hatches, then that is what you should continue to do. If you aren't having good hatches then is the time to consider other alternatives. Sixty-five percent humidity prior to lock down would not be good for chicken eggs where I am located.

What works good for me on chicken eggs, guinea eggs, and turkey eggs is to incubate with a humidity in the range of 20% - 30% and then to raise the humidity to 60% for lock down, although I have had really good success with 45% humidity for lock down with chicken eggs..

There are places that recommend 60% humidity for incubating guinea eggs and calling for 80% humidity for lock down. There are also many more places advocating "dry" incubation prior to lock down.

I've got 5 maybe eggs coming up on lock down. They are in a binsea incubator so you just fill the two pots to the top and hope for the best lol. I candled them not too long ago and I think two quit growing, on is essentially pitch black and the other two are maybes. We will see come next tuesday i guess!

Hope you have a great hatch!

Out of my dozen I hatched 3. 6 never developed, 1 died later, one died after pipping, and one never hatched. But I do have 3 fuzzy loud little keets!
No more shipped eggs!

Last edited:
Thanks @oweirdo ! I hope so as well. These are eggs from my own guineas but this is my first hatch and their first spring of eggs so I expect the number will be low Here's to hoping though! :D

Back
Top Bottom