Questions about incubating Guinea Fowl Eggs!

R2elk, thank you for replying. What of the people who say theirs are hatching 3 days early? That isn't typical is it? I'm really banking on a Thanksgiving day hatch.
I have had a couple of day 25 day hatches but they are not usual if your temperatures are correct. Those experiencing really early hatches are either incubating eggs that have already been started or are running their incubator a little high. There are also those who have late hatches because their incubator temperature is running on the low side.

If it makes you feel better to begin lockdown earlier than day 25, go ahead and do it. It is not critical that the eggs be turned during their last week of incubation.

Good luck.

I have done some research about the humidity for guinea eggs and it all says between 45% and 65% which is a huge difference to me it's so confusing which is right will my chicks be sick at 65% or not

I have done some research about the humidity for guinea eggs and it all says between 45% and 65% which is a huge difference to me it's so confusing which is right will my chicks be sick at 65% or not
Sixty-five percent humidity for the incubation period is on the high side and may not allow the air space to draw down sufficiently for the eggs to hatch.

What is right is what works for you in your situation with the instruments that you are using. Not all hygrometers are equal and while you can use the sodium chloride test to check the accuracy of your hygrometer at 75% humidity, it does not mean the correction factor will be correct at 40% humidity.

It is nice to have a hygrometer to allow you to get a reading but it is more important to adjust your humidity based on how the air cell is progressing rather than what the hygrometer is reading.

Too high of humidity during incubation will prevent the proper drawn down of the air cell and most likely cause a lot of failed hatches due to drowning during lockdown.

I am currently incubating guinea eggs and am trying for 30 to 35% humidity during incubation and will shoot for 65 to 70% humidity during lockdown. This is what works for me in my conditions and with my hygrometers.

Any suggestion for a website to order Guinea eggs from. I’ve incubated lots of chickens and baby quail but never guineas. Thinking about adding a few to the barnyard. I’m told they help keep snakes away. Is this true? Nothing like finding a big snake when picking eggs,

Any suggestion for a website to order Guinea eggs from. I’ve incubated lots of chickens and baby quail but never guineas. Thinking about adding a few to the barnyard. I’m told they help keep snakes away. Is this true? Nothing like finding a big snake when picking eggs,
Many of the reputable hatcheries sell guinea hatching eggs. Most of them source their hatching eggs from Ralph Winter's Guinea Farm.

My turkeys do a better job of keeping snakes away than do my guineas.

I have a smell coming from my incubator on day 26 of incubating 23 guinea eggs. It on lockdown, humidity on 65-70. I bought the eggs from a lady that said the eggs were laid withing the week I bought them. Can you candle after lockdown ?

I have a smell coming from my incubator on day 26 of incubating 23 guinea eggs. It on lockdown, humidity on 65-70. I bought the eggs from a lady that said the eggs were laid withing the week I bought them. Can you candle after lockdown ?
Yes you can candle after lockdown but do it carefully. I would suspect a cracked rotten egg. It will be best to get it out of there as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Thank you for responding. I found the egg that had a smell and also found 11 viable eggs. Sad ! Yes I forgot to candle when moving to my incubator. The hen had left the nest and the eggs were cool. I don't know if the 11 will hatch.

Back
Top Bottom