Questions about ingredients in Layer Pellet feed I use

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by emartin, May 22, 2010.

1. emartin

emartin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    I breed tropical freshwater fish in the family Cichlidae, so I am familiar with all the vitamins and minerals included in feed formulas.

However, there are a couple ingredients in this one famous brand's feed I am not familiar with.

Here they are, for the feed labeled "Layer Pellets". The ones in bold are ones I am questioning/have no idea what they are for, since google said they were actually bacteria and pathogens...(????):
    Grain Products
    Processed Grain By-Products
    Plant Protein Products
    Calcium Carbonate
    Monocalcium Phosphate
    Salt
    DL-Methionine
    Choline Chloride
    L-Lysine Monohydrochloride
    Vitamin E Supplement
    Zinc Sulfate
    Ferrous Sulfate
    Manganese sulfate
    Zinc Proteinate
    Copper Sulfate
    Calcium Iodate
    Vitamin A Supplement
    Manganese Proteinate
    Copper Proteinate
    Sodium Selenite
    Vitamin D3 Supplement
    Niacin
    d-Calcium Pantothenate
    Ribloflavin
    Thiamine Mononitrate
    Pyridoxine Hydrochloride
    Cobalt Carbonate
    Folic Acid
    Vitamin B12 Supplement
    Biotin
    Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity)
    Brewers Dried Yeast
    Yeast Culture
    Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product
    Dried Lactobacillis Acidophilus Fermentation Product
    Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract
    Dried Trichoderma Longibrachiatum Fermentation Extract
    Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract
    Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles

Guaranteed Analysis:
    Crude Protein, Min. 16.0%
    Lysine, Min. 0.7%
    Methionine, Min. 0.3%
    Crude Fat, Min. 2.5%
    Crude Fiber, Max. 4.0%
    Calcium, Min. 3.4% Max. 3.8%
    Phosphorus, Min. 0.5%
    Salt, Min. 0.3% Max 0.5%

OKAY...so the ones in bold... What the hell are those? What are they for?

Does this feed sound crappy? Or do all the ingredients and guaranteed analysis seem adequate to keep feeding this?

For now I am withholding the brand name of this feed.

Thanks in advance...

2. Beekissed

Beekissed Flock Master

These sound like probiotics. Not sure. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

3. bigdealer

bigdealer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    Deep in da Hearta, Texas
    E. faecium is essentially an immunity booster,
    Lactobacillus acidophilus comes from an algae and when fermented gets you L. casei immunitas which is a common intestinal flora for digestive regulation(think "Activia"),
    Aspergillus niger is a completely unavoidable inhabitant of this planet. If you don't live in a level 3 or above clean room then you live completely surrounded by it(sorry),
    Trichoderma Longibrachiatum is a fun guy (fungi), commonly green mold. Low doses are good for your keratin (think fingernails, hair, scales, beak, claws and feathers),
    Bacillus Subtilis works like you think an antioxidant would. It helps slow down decay rates of certain vitamins, especially during stress,
    Saccharomyces Cerevisiae is one of the most common yeasts. Say, sourdough bread or beer. And we all know those are good for you.

The list you have posted is common to just about any animal feed(including our own, sometimes). The items from the bolded list you come in contact with on a daily basis just by going to your garden and taking out the trash. They sound much worse than they are. In actuality they are literally as common as dirt.

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    A lot of the bacteria that live in the digestive tracts of various species serve very useful purposes. To have them is normal and makes us healthier. Another example is the bacteria that effects the ph of the digestive tract and makes it less suitable for bad bacteria and more suitable for other good bacteria. Probiotics are most often used to seed or reseed the digestive tracts of the young, sick or individuals that have been on antibiotics. They are always a good thing. I see them occasionally in foods for various animals, as well as for people. You can also buy them separately.

Besides our digestive tracts, there are good bacteria that perform useful services in our fish filters and our compost heaps.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I know when I'm evaluating pet food, I try to avoid ones that list "byproducts" as ingredients. Could be anything. And what the heck would "Plant Protein Products" be, or "Grain Products," for that matter?

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It's whatever legume or grain is convenient or least expensive on that day, without having to constantly redo the label. It's become popular to label chicken feed that way, the last couple of years.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Plant Protein Products can be a lot of things.
    It could be: Corn Gluten, Brewers' Dried Grains, Wet Brewers' Grains, Peanut meal and so on..

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by