Questions about ingredients in Layer Pellet feed I use

emartin

Songster
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
I breed tropical freshwater fish in the family Cichlidae, so I am familiar with all the vitamins and minerals included in feed formulas.

However, there are a couple ingredients in this one famous brand's feed I am not familiar with.

Here they are, for the feed labeled "Layer Pellets". The ones in bold are ones I am questioning/have no idea what they are for, since google said they were actually bacteria and pathogens...(????):
Grain Products
Processed Grain By-Products
Plant Protein Products
Calcium Carbonate
Monocalcium Phosphate
Salt
DL-Methionine
Choline Chloride
L-Lysine Monohydrochloride
Vitamin E Supplement
Zinc Sulfate
Ferrous Sulfate
Manganese sulfate
Zinc Proteinate
Copper Sulfate
Calcium Iodate
Vitamin A Supplement
Manganese Proteinate
Copper Proteinate
Sodium Selenite
Vitamin D3 Supplement
Niacin
d-Calcium Pantothenate
Ribloflavin
Thiamine Mononitrate
Pyridoxine Hydrochloride
Cobalt Carbonate
Folic Acid
Vitamin B12 Supplement
Biotin
Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity)
Brewers Dried Yeast
Yeast Culture
Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product
Dried Lactobacillis Acidophilus Fermentation Product
Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract
Dried Trichoderma Longibrachiatum Fermentation Extract
Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract
Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein, Min. 16.0%
Lysine, Min. 0.7%
Methionine, Min. 0.3%
Crude Fat, Min. 2.5%
Crude Fiber, Max. 4.0%
Calcium, Min. 3.4% Max. 3.8%
Phosphorus, Min. 0.5%
Salt, Min. 0.3% Max 0.5%

OKAY...so the ones in bold... What the hell are those? What are they for?

Does this feed sound crappy? Or do all the ingredients and guaranteed analysis seem adequate to keep feeding this?

For now I am withholding the brand name of this feed.

Thanks in advance...

E. faecium is essentially an immunity booster,
Lactobacillus acidophilus comes from an algae and when fermented gets you L. casei immunitas which is a common intestinal flora for digestive regulation(think "Activia"),
Aspergillus niger is a completely unavoidable inhabitant of this planet. If you don't live in a level 3 or above clean room then you live completely surrounded by it(sorry),
Trichoderma Longibrachiatum is a fun guy (fungi), commonly green mold. Low doses are good for your keratin (think fingernails, hair, scales, beak, claws and feathers),
Bacillus Subtilis works like you think an antioxidant would. It helps slow down decay rates of certain vitamins, especially during stress,
Saccharomyces Cerevisiae is one of the most common yeasts. Say, sourdough bread or beer. And we all know those are good for you.

The list you have posted is common to just about any animal feed(including our own, sometimes). The items from the bolded list you come in contact with on a daily basis just by going to your garden and taking out the trash. They sound much worse than they are. In actuality they are literally as common as dirt.

A lot of the bacteria that live in the digestive tracts of various species serve very useful purposes. To have them is normal and makes us healthier. Another example is the bacteria that effects the ph of the digestive tract and makes it less suitable for bad bacteria and more suitable for other good bacteria. Probiotics are most often used to seed or reseed the digestive tracts of the young, sick or individuals that have been on antibiotics. They are always a good thing. I see them occasionally in foods for various animals, as well as for people. You can also buy them separately.

Besides our digestive tracts, there are good bacteria that perform useful services in our fish filters and our compost heaps.

I know when I'm evaluating pet food, I try to avoid ones that list "byproducts" as ingredients. Could be anything. And what the heck would "Plant Protein Products" be, or "Grain Products," for that matter?

It's whatever legume or grain is convenient or least expensive on that day, without having to constantly redo the label. It's become popular to label chicken feed that way, the last couple of years.

Quote:
Plant Protein Products can be a lot of things.
It could be: Corn Gluten, Brewers' Dried Grains, Wet Brewers' Grains, Peanut meal and so on..

Chris

Back
Top Bottom