Questions about integration

americanshorty26

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 29, 2008
I need advice/ info on how to put together two different sets of chickens.

I have 5, 7 week old chickens and I want to buy 3, 12 week old chickens.

Is this impossible?
Can it be done?
How do I do it?

I really need help on this one I have to know by the end of today.

Thanks Thanks Thanks

**edited title for clarity and to remove urgency**

Last edited by a moderator:
What I would do would be to pen them next to each other so they can see and be around each other without intermingling. Then, after a few weeks or a month, I'd just put them in together and walk away. Realize that there will be pecking order fighting for a while, which is normal, and that the older will take dominance, for the most part, over the younger. But I would also keep a close eye out for blood. If someone gets pecked enough to draw blood, then the others will peck it to death.

QUARENTINE the new ones for a minimum of 30 days first. If you don't and they are sick you will be exposing your current chicks to it too. Then you will be treating/loosing them as well.

As for integrating them. I wouldn't until the younger ones are 12 weeks or so. At this point that would be to big of an age gap.

Thanks.

After reading the comments and that info page I have decided not to buy new chickens. I am a first time chicken owner and trying to do that would be out of my league especially with school and work.

Back
Top Bottom