Questions about layer feed

rosemarythyme

Crossing the Road
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
Question: I've always read that oyster shell (calcium) should be offered free choice and not mixed with feed. So what's the deal with 'layer feed' that has extra calcium?

Question: Can I stay on regular feed for them and is there any advantage to doing that as opposed to switching to layer?
Typical layer feed is around 4% calcium, which is an average amount a laying hen needs for good eggshells. Obviously with averages, some need more than average, (and some less, which is why I dilute down the calcium), which is where the oyster shell/eggshell come in.

Yes you can stay with a non-layer formulation and continue supplementing calcium on the side. Advantage I suppose is using a feed that you're already satisfied with, generally higher protein levels (most layer is 16%), and as previously mentioned, some layers don't need 4% calcium.

Carson213

Chirping
Aug 31, 2020
the oyster shells last way longer than the feed but it’s just as important as the feed. usually you can buy feed locally in bulk vs 40-50 lb bags...much cheaper.

Top Bottom