Questions about laying egg on floor

momofchicks

Songster
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
Kentucky
For some reason this week I have found 3 eggs on the floor out in their run. They have eated all the grass so it's all dirt and some poo. My question is, can we eat these eggs? They have dirt and poo on them because I'm guessing after they are laid they get rolled around a bit by the chickens. The poo is easily wiped off with a damp paper towel. Can poo get into the egg?
Thanks

There is a bloom that incases the egg to keep bacteria from entering the egg.. I've had pullets lay in the runs before they really learn what the nestboxes are for..As long as its the same days egg and hasn't set out in the hot sun they are okay to eat...

I just wash them off if their really dirty and place in the fridge til I'm ready to eat those. All other eggs sit on my kitchen counter in a basket to use and are not washed....

Quote:
So you don't wash it? How much quicker does it go bad? OH and thank both of you for your quick responses.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how much quicker but I have keep fresh eggs out on the counter for a week or longer with no problems whatsoever

PS do you have enough nestboxes for your hens? Mine were laying everywhere until I put in a few more boxes.

Last edited:
CoyoteMagic - I have 4 boxes and 7 hens. I would say that's plenty of boxes right? The silly girls all want to lay in 1 box. I finally seen a few lay in box 2 and 3 and only 1 egg in a month in box 4. It's like they can't wait any longer for box 1 and just lay on the ground.

I was going to build these really nice boxes. You know the ones that you can access from the outside, blah, blah blah. My girls decided that they like the nice dark place in a corner under one of the roosts or a 5 gallon bucket, and kitty litter box. Oh well, they saved me money, lol.

Quote:
My girls have been laying in a corner too. My dh did build the nice nests that can be accessed from outside but they don't use it.

I might try using a kitty litter box in that corner though. That way the shavings will stay cleaner i think. All six that are laying use that same corner too.

Last edited:
You would think that is plenty of boxes, but these danged hens will lay where they want. We have 6 nesting boxes for 6 hens, so last night what did one do? Layed ON TOP of the nesting boxes. We have straw up there just in case, because we heard chickens will do what they want, and I am thankful we did that.

Back
Top Bottom